advertisement
advertisement

Post Surgical Setback

I am four weeks post L4L5 micro discectomy. I have been slowly recovering and yesterday strapped on my icers and did two successful snow walks. Today my back hurts on the left at the surgical site and my left leg has more numbness and weakness...I am basically back a whole week in my recovery. Have I re-herniated or is this just a setback I can recover from? Any similar experiences?

advertisement

Comments

• Would follow post-op instructions to a tee. Four weeks out is still very very early. Only an MRI ordered by a doctor can say if you re-herniated. I would tread carefully. I wouldn’t want to press my luck and risk needing a second revision surgery.

• I was given no activity restrictions except no BLT (bending,lifting,twisting). The icers strapped on my boots changed my gait I guess... like walking on uneven ground. I have stuck to the house today and hoping tomorrow I feel better. Very nerve-wracking this business! Fear of re-herniation is just always with me.

• advertisement
  • It is very easy to have a set back after surgery, I know 4 weeks seems like a long time, but it's not when it comes to back surgery, I have thought I re-herniated several times, luckily I didn't and after a few days everything calmed down. If it were me, I would be very careful about walking in ice and snow, the last thing you need to do is fall, that could cause some real damage.

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

Sign In or Join Us to comment.