advertisement
advertisement

Pain post CT myelogram

Hi

I had a CT myelogram yesterday and have some increased back/ leg pain in the same places I usually have discomfort. Anybody else experience this after having a myelogram??

Hoping it goes away quickly!

Thanks 

Liz

advertisement

Comments

• I have had several myelograms in the past, a couple of them were very painful during and after, my doctor explained it this way, they inject into the spinal sac, the dye runs through and if there is a restriction it can cause quite a bit of pain, so if there is nerve compression that's most likely the problem, for me the extra pain lasted a couple of days while the dye dissapated.

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

• Liz53Liz53 MissouriPosts: 78

Thanks, Chip

The actual procedure was ok and no headaches which I was most concerned. Waiting for results and hoping the pain disappears soon!  We don’t need more pain! 

Appreciate your response!

Liz

• advertisement
  • Liz

I have had around 10 myelograms over 35 years, I only had a headache after one, it was the worst headache I have ever had, worse than the migraines I have had, I am glad you didn't get one.

Chip

@challenger

Thanks 

Yes so glad I didn’t get the headache, just hoping my back and leg feel better tomorrow!

Guessing the dye irritated the nerve root.

But really was worried about the most common complaint of headaches.

Drinking lots of fluids today.

Appreciate your comments 

Liz

• Liz

I have had good success with the myelogram finding problems that a MRI didn't show, it's not the most comfortable thing to go through, but if it will find your problem, it will be worth it, and I hope it does.

Chip

• advertisement

Chip

Thanks 

Me too!

Sure hope it helps discover a source but really not very hopeful.

Will post when I get results 

Liz

• Liz53 - Checking in to see if your back and leg pain improved today.  My experience with CT Myelograms is that 24 hours after procedure, I experienced a significant reduction of back and leg pain.  I hope that all is going well for you.

@stiffneck7

Thanks for asking. A tiny bit better but not back to baseline yet. Maybe it’s from the limited movement the last couple of days? 

Hope tomorrow is better!

Orthopedic appointment on Friday for results.

Thanks 

Liz

• @Liz53 last seen at 7:20pm. That’s right now. Hopefully that means she’s about to share some good news with us.  :) @stiffneck7

No news yet.

• @Liz53 any results Liz? We’re pulling for you. Hope you get some definitive answers.

@L4_L5

Well SO frustrating 

NORMAL Tests!!

And in pain -thinking it’s scar tissue on the nerve root. Now referred to physiatrist and pain but really don’t want to try meds or spinal cord stimulator, which is what I am sure they will recommend next. 

So discouraging and horrible to have pain without a specific cause!

Liz

• L4_L5LL4_L5 Posts: 1,238
    edited 01/26/2020 - 7:23 PM

@Liz53

I’m very sorry. I’m going through hip therapy just in case I’m getting pain from both my low back and hip. So far it isn’t working.

Just the other day the therapist told me a woman came to him not long ago with hip and low back pain. She had three normal MRI’s. 

An orthopedic surgeon wound up doing an arthroscopy of her hip and found something of significance, repaired it, and now she’s nearly fully recovered. Said they aren’t sure why the issue didn’t show on any of the three MRI’s.

It’s my understanding that an arthroscopy is generally performed when the surgeon strongly suspects hip impingement or labrum tear is the culprit based on a patient having ongoing issues with flexion, adduction and internal rotation, in particular (and in cases where both PT and injections fall).

A person I know who’s studying to be a nurse practitioner said she was taught in school that 20% of injuries never get diagnosed properly ... and the patient essentially is in pain 24/7 for life and die before they get answers. That’s a sobering statistic if true.

I still refuse to give up and hope you don’t either!

• I am going in this Wednesday for my first mylegram ever. I must say that I am not looking forward to it.

Chris

@L4_L5

Thanks for your response.

I sure hope you also find relief from the chronic pain. It is just NOT fun to try to live with it every day. Scary that we know our bodies and yet medicine isn’t advanced enough to diagnose a problem. I hope to find a way through as I am too young to live this way until I die!

@chanright

Sure hope it goes easily for you

The actual test was not an issue but I do think I have had residual pain all week made a bit worse by having the myelogram. Not sure why but I did notice it post myelogram. No headaches though for which I am grateful!

Good luck!!

• Liz53 I have residual pain also. It was like the myleogram irritated my current pain situation. And I had a full spine myleogram. The worst part was when they tilted the table with my head down. The pressure and pain were horrible. It felt like my head and shoulders were gonna pop off. It will be a loooooooooooooong time before I ever agree to another one of these tests. But I got thru it. I have my disc. And I see the neurosurgeon on Feb. 20th. I pray he does not suggest revision surgery. Fingers crossed.

Chris

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,135

Chris

I'm glad you made it through the myelogram and I hope it gives your doctor a clear picture of what is going on.
    Take care and keep us posted.

Sandra

• Liz,  While I have never had the issues you are experiencing I just wanted to say I hope you feel better soon. Would  they do exploratory type surgery for something like that when the tests come back normal just to see if anything was missed?  I mean there has to be something causing that type of pain.  Keepng you in my prayers.

Cindy

@Chanright

Sorry you too have that residual pain. At 1 1/2 weeks out I sadly still don’t feel right! My doctor spent such a long time reviewing and I am SO frustrated. Can’t live this way and need some answers.

@n2braves

Cindy, 

Thanks for your kind words. This has been a bad year as I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer and in the middle of treatments, my back decided to act up. 2 Breast surgeries and a month of radiation all while feeling horrible. I just recently have tried to focus on my back and have been told they typically don’t do exploratory surgeries. One neurosurgeon said it could be the nerve root is trapped and not moving properly from my surgery 7 years ago? I would think on an MRI or myelogram they could see that but again all tests mostly NORMAL!  It truly is hard to be in pain with no reason and at 59 I want to have some relief and be able to live a life!!

Thanks again 

Liz

• Liz,  My goodness!  You have been thru alot!  Bless your heart.  I hear you about wanting some relief and the ability to live some sort of normal life.  We all deserve that.  You and I are just about the same age so I truly get it.  I have dealt with migraine/Facial pain for the last 25 years and it gets old quick!  Sometimes I just wonder if the Lord allows us to have some adversity so that we can have true empathy for others.  I know coming here number one makes me know that I am not alone and number 2, it feels good to offer help and prayers to others here.  It makes my life a little more bearable.  Don't give up.  Keep going til you find answers.  You deserve them and although it seems really good doctors who will take the time to really dig in and find the problem are few and far between, they do exist.  Praying you find one soon.

Please let us know how things go for you.

Cindy

• I just had a ct myelograph done 12 hrs ago I was put to sleep as I'm an ARDS survivor and was scared to death of having this procedure.

I wake up in recovery tell me that I aspirated and that I might have to stay in the hospital over night oml the tears fell of fear of ARDS coming back as I had pneumonia that turned like very quickly to ARDS.. well they did an xray after all that.  Then released me home but to watch closely for pnemonina.. 

My question is I have bulges in L4-L5 one MRI done prior

And T4,T5,T6,T7,T8  bulging with some protrusion 2nd mri done..

Now this ct mylegograph  today

Is it normal for your l4-L5 area and bum and your hip and leg to hurt really bad and feel like a masseuse is pressing really hard on your lower back and leg hurting more then normal? 

I'm so scared of what's to come of these results...

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.