advertisement
advertisement

Post Lumbar/Thoracic Fusion Back Spasms

I had a fusion for a car accident 3 1/2 weeks ago. It was redone 7 weeks after the original fusion because one of the vertebrae was so damaged it had to be replaced with a titanium cage. My fusion goes from T10 to L3. Both surgeries are causing horrible back spasms. Is this normal? And if so, when can I expect then to go away? Please help. Scared of a lifetime of pain.

advertisement

Comments

• Welcome lporadzisz we’re glad you’re here!

You have been through a lot and I am sorry you are dealing with all this, 7 weeks is very early in the recovery process, especially with all you have had done, I have had several surgeries including 3 fusion surgeries, the thoracic area is very sensetive, worst surgery I have had, I wish I could give you a time frame of when it gets better, but everybody is different, for me it was around the 3 month mark.

Walking and ice were my best friends until I was allowed PT, once things started getting better it seemed to improve pretty quickly, stay the course and follow all your surgeons instructions, that will give you your best chance for a full recovery. 

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

Have you read the article Practical Advice for Recovering from Back Surgery on Spine-health? It offers a lot of practical tips around what to expect before, during, and after surgery. You may also want to check out the video How to Prep Your Home for Spine Surgery Recovery, which also has some great tips.

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.

Chip 

Veritas Health Forum Moderator

Sign In or Join Us to comment.