advertisement
advertisement

Help trying to pick a surgeon S1-L3

I've seen 2 very reputable surgeon here in the DC area. Both want to do an Alif for S1-L5, and a lateral for L3/4. One does the whole surgery all at once, including rods and screws (6 hrs?) The other surgeon wants to also include a plate in the S1/L5 Alif, go in laterally for L3/4 and then wait 2 days in hospital before inserting rods and screws using small posterior cuts.  Both sound very scary to me.  1) Anyone here know what  the advantage of adding a plate is? 2) And going in thru the back using small cuts for the rods and screws actually makes me wonder how does one sleep if you've been incised everywhere. 3) And lastly, has anyone had a surgery that has been 6hrs plus?I looked at the different types of fusions on this site; they're great but i can't find any info in regard to my questions. Sorry this is so long but Im feeling terrified.

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,471

Welcome wlee to the Veritas Health Forum.

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

Have you visited the Neck and Back Surgery Health Center on Spine-health? It has a number of articles and practical tips for preparing for spine surgery. You may also want to check out the video How to Prep Your Home for Spine Surgery Recovery, which also has some really great tips.\

Also check out the link below, Oct. surgery buddies. These are discussions between members who were waiting on surgery and recovery. There is a lot of valuable information there. When you know your surgery date, go to the right and click on Surgery Buddies, pick your month and join in,

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.
    Sandra
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

Sign In or Join Us to comment.