advertisement

In this Discussion

advertisement

Exercise after epidural steroid injection--too much--too little

I am in the middle of undergoing epidural steroid injections for leg pain related to spinal stenosis.   Just had injection #2 nine days ago and am noticing a pain pattern similar to after injection #1 2 months ago.  That is, significant pain relief in the first week after injection , followed by gradual return of the pain in week 2, but only late in the day.  My exercise routine, whether during this recovery or on a normal routine, is to do about 15 minutes of stretching followed by 20-30 minutes on the treadmill first thing in the morning at 3.5 mph.  Then I do a 20-30 minute walk with the dog at noon and 5 PM.   Typically each day now, I am pain free until late in the afternoon.  It's almost as if I have a 'ticking timer' now in my back that says "that's enough for today".  If I attend social events in the evening, I'm in trouble if standing (pain level=6).   I'm thinking about abandoning the morning treadmill in hopes of lowering my "steps per day" on the theory that maybe I'm overdoing it.  If I do all of the above, I would typically clock about 4 miles 10,000 steps in a day on my Fit-bit.  I know that walking is supposed to be good exercise, but I'm wondering if I should be limiting myself purely based on the onset of late day pain.  When I last had epidurals 3 years ago, I was able to avoid injection #3 based on a successful return to normal after 2.

advertisement

Comments

• Welcome gliebisch we’re glad you’re here!

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

You’ll also find a number of helpful articles and videos about injections in the Pain Injections Health Center on Spine-health. It’s a valuable resource for anyone who’s looking for more information about epidural steroid injectionsmedial branch nerve blocksradial frequency ablation, and SI joint injections. It covers a wide range of topics, too; from injection success rates and what to expect during an injection procedure, to common side effects. I hope you find these resources helpful. 

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.

Chip 

Veritas Health Forum Moderator

Sign In or Join Us to comment.