advertisement
advertisement

Learning what is important

Hi Everyone,

I want to wish everyone less pain and much happiness.

Have you ever asked yourself what is THE most important thing in your life?  We live our lives doing the same things we have always done.  To put it simply, we grow up, marry and have children.  Some of us are lucky enough to find that perfect person to spend our lives with.  Children can also be a great source of pride and accomplishment.  Nothing compares to children who love us and give us the one gift we cannot buy.  "The time they spend with us"

Unfortunately we need to work and make money.  We end up chasing the almighty dollar in hopes we will find fulfillment and happiness.  I look at money as a necessary evil.  I qualify that statement with the following thought--Money can make you feel rich but lasting happiness comes from things you cant buy with money. 

Most people place money high on their list of desires.  People would say "Money is the root of all evil"  The true statement would be "The love of money is the root of all evil".  There is a big difference in those two statements. 

I want to say I am blessed in that I have lived long enough to receive my pension money.  I now live a very modest life.  I am ok with this as pain and my attempts to escape its grasp is now my overriding concern. 

I guess what I am trying to say is sooner or later we all have a life changing epiphany.  None of us ask for the pain we receive.  We must learn to work around it or through it. 

Now I could care less about the things money can buy.  As mentioned above I only care for the things money cannot buy.  Life, love, friendship, honor and integrity.  It is sad to say it took me all these years to see this truth. 

God bless

dale

advertisement

Comments

• Dale, its never too late to learn,especially important life lessons. Chronic pain sometimes warps my perception of my life. Those are the darker days. For me, God is first because that is my only true hope. My husband helps me keep things in focus and not get stuck in my depression. I often wonder about the future. How bad will my spine get over time? Will I need surgery? Will I eventually become handicapped? That stuff I leave to God. 

• God. Love. My wife and kids. 

Money is important but I’m not in the position most are who are older chronic pain patients and able to retire, b on a pension or live on savings. That horse was not available for me during my journey.  And while I made my share of money the ex took most of that and the rest went to the kids college.   And now, laid off and jobless for a year with chronic pain, no answers and no resolution to the problem makes it triple hard to get up and get through the days at times.  I try and combat this by staying in the word and turning my situation over  to Him which is much easier said than done.  Kind of like learning mindfulness meditation:)

• advertisement
  • Oh my how most of us have chased the wrong rabbit most of our lives.  We have so little time and so much to do.  We are so busy trying to aquire things and most of the time they are the wrong things. 

It truly is a shame it takes us so long (at least for me) to learn what's really important in life. 

Great way to keep things in perspective Joel.  Reading your Bible and trusting Him. 

What a shame we don't have a do over button in our lives so we can go back and right a few wrongs.

God bless

dale

• Well said, I have to agree it is a difficult path sometimes..however if you believe and continue to keep faith and love in your life things will eventually get better. Not always what we want or expect necessarily however a path change for the better. I wish u all the best.

Jenn

• Well said dmo, joel, and nancyann,  Its so easy to forget what's important in life.  There's a quote by CS Lewis that I love.   

"Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in.  Aim at earth and you get neither."

If you ever get a chance to read his life story it is fascinating!

Cindy

• advertisement
  • Isn't it funny how most people go through life as if they have all the time in the world?  It isn't till the clock strikes midnight before we realize the truth. 

It is also true that as we age the things we once cared so much about no longer hold importance in our lives.  I give first place to my faith.  The words of THE BOOK are of such comfort to me.  All of life's possessions have faded away.  I am thankful for home and family. 

By far my greatest struggle now is with pain.  Yet I know one day I will be free from even this.   I am close enough now to see the end. 

God bless

dale

• Joel1QJJoel1Q Posts: 359
    edited 02/14/2020 - 12:20 AM

Well hopefully not that close Dale. Cindy, great quote - I have time to read these days so I will seek out Lewis’ life story and add it to the reading pile (towards the top)...

If I only knew then what I know now ... I think most of us older folks have said that.  As it pertains to chronic pain and the health of the spine, I’ve said I’d like to impress upon the younger gens to taking better care of the spine, better posture, less lifting, less physical labor, better eating, sleeping and exercise habits, the importance of healthy mental practices as much as possible etc etc.  

I actually was presented with 3 opportunities to impart that feeble knowledge in the past week, and I was all over these folks ‘imparting’ my newbie knowledge.  It was almost like ministry of the spine. On top of that I actually had a chance to minister the gospel and invited a nice couple to my church.  What a week!

• That is so great Joel.  Helping people in any fashion is just wonderful.  I always tell people to take care of their spine.  It works especially well in line situations.  Talking with people is such an easy thing to do.  I always thought of myself as ten foot tall and bullet proof.  Boy was I wrong. 

God bless

dale

• Great thread. I enjoyed reading everyone's comments. I am in my 11th month of pain and mobility issues, not being able to walk more than a few steps. Some days are a little easier than others. Like the old saying goes, we make plans and God laughs. I left behind my house in a cold part of the US to move to a sunny warm climate. I was having a great life, made a lot of friends and had many activities. After a few years, my daughter separated from her husband and moved down here. I found myself in the position of taking care of 2 small children under 5 years old. Now, a couple of years later, they are in school, but after school and the days off, I need to help my daughter with the children. My husband has to help out too, when I cannot even sit up. Before we came to here retire, I was taking care of my elderly parents. I am grateful for the few years I had to have some fun, and the many blessings I have had in life. I am still searching for the right treatment and trying to remain positive and enjoy the little things in life. 

• I believe as we get older the little things are what makes life enjoyable.  The big things, things we always dreamed of are left by the wayside.  You are right "It is better to go to a house of mourning than a house of laughter."  This is when our thoughts align with those of God. 

Aging and living in pain are huge adjustments for us.  It strains relationships and budgets just to name a few things.  Mostly I think it makes us aware of our own mortality. 

I hope you feel better and I am sure your daughter appreciates your help.  "Don't forbid the little children to come unto me".

God bless

dale

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.