advertisement
advertisement
The Veritas Health Forum is moving! On September 30, 2020, this Forum will no longer be available. Please read important information about the changes here.

Injections or not?

I now have an appointment to have injection/s in my lower back in 4 weeks time.

I am trying to decide if i should have them or not. I know that its 50/50 if they will work. Plus, there is a chance problems could arise afterwards.

What experiences have you had with your injection/s?

I have bulging discs and nerve pain at upper rear legs.

Thanks

advertisement

Comments

• I have had really good results with some of the injections I have had, I have also had them not work at all, but you will never know until you try.

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

• A bit wary about it causing more nerve damage.

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,697

Everyone is different. I have also had several injections, some worked some didn't But I never experienced more nerve damage. Most of the time, your doctor will tell you they need to be done in a series of 3. 

• All of my injections were guided by a flouroscope, I have never had any problems with any nerve damage caused by the injections

Chip

• Injections worked great for me before my fusion in my lumbar area. First injection lasted over a year. However. No shots have worked since my fusion surgery. And I have had a bunch of them since my surgery in 2016.

• advertisement
  • gliebischggliebisch Columbus, OHPosts: 3

I had my first series of 3 in 2016 and the relief lasted 3 years!  I recently had a flare up again and am undergoing my second series. I've had 2 of 3 and the doctor says they can't consider a third until I'm 6 weeks out, but I have enough relief to walk a mile before pain starts to be felt in my right leg, so a third shot at this point is not likely unless it gets worse again. Mine is for spinal stenosis. I was never concerned with nerve damage as I understand that to be very rare.  The biggest issue is that insurance companies will not approve more than 3 in a year, so if you need a 4th, it will be denied.

• Ok, thanks people.

I have bulging discs so hope it will help with pain.

• I agree koolpc, you won't know until you try. I've not had very good results but never a problem with nerve damage from the injection itself. I would assume they will be done under fluroscope otherwise find another doctor. Please keep us posted. 

Joanne

• Xray i believe

• I had 8 in total , ultrasound guided into my l5/s1 right side. The first was Instant relief from Sciatica with drop foot, honestly it was like a miracle , the pain was gone for 7 full months . The relief got less with each injection and the drop foot was gone in 2 years. But they stopped working and all pain came back but on both sides . The 9 th one was in L5/S1 but on the left side and was totally agony and didn’t work. Which has put me off any more. I hope you fine some relief if you go ahead. A little relief goes a long way. 

• Thanks guys. Still trying to decide.

• 2 weeks to injections and still undecided!

• G’day koolpc.  Two weeks will go quick for you, it’s a good thing really.    

I gave up , can’t stand this pain any more. While I was with my gp to get scripts as I lost mine. I asked for the MRI. Doc gave me a referral to see a PM doctor, luckily the imaging place is at the shopping centre so I went in to book and she said he will order a MRI and a bone scan. She also said any injections are free and covered by Medicare . Then we go from there for injections, I am just hoping it all goes kinda pain friendly.  

koolpc

I just returned from my PM doctor regarding my pump and sciatic nerve. Instead of injections, which he agreed do not work for me, he put me on a Medrol Pack. The bad thing is, too much steroids will make your bones brittle and I have had so much. But, like I told him, it's my life and right now I have no quality. I have to have a bone scan though, might be interesting.

• I was offered slow release morphine tablets but refused them. Not sure if i should have given them a try.

• I take the slow release Morphine.  At first I thought they were totally ineffective.  Then over time I could start to tell my pain was less and less.  They do not work quickly nor is it as strong as some other pain meds but I would at least try it.

God bless us all

dale

• Thank. I may try them.

God bless you too my friend

• Wondering now if i should ditch the injections. They may work. They may not. May get side effects. They only temporary anyway

• Injections are good for diagnostic testing and may give some relief.  If you get any relief look at it as a bonus.  I have had injections all up and down my spine and neve really had any lasting relief.  I have read where some people get up to a years worth of relief.  Not me.

I do think its relatively safe so if you have insurance why not try.

God bless us all

dale

koolpc

It seems with all of us, nothing works permanently. We take what we can get.

Sandra

• UK here so no insurance, as such, needed.

• Injections postponed due to whats happening regarding the corona virus

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.