advertisement

In this Discussion

advertisement

Complete RCL and LCL tears

Hey all! I am super new to this forum. Wednesday morning I go into surgery for my left elbow. About a month ago, I was walking outside in the rain, and slipped backwards on a mossy sidewalk. I fell with my left hand outstretched, my elbow gave away, and then right onto my elbow. I was seen in the emergency department and diagnosed with a fractured radial head. I was told to wear a sling and follow up with ortho in 7-10 days. I was still pretty uncomfortable at my ortho follow up so the doctor ordered an MRI to see if I damaged any connective tissue. During the MRI my elbow dislocated... The MRI showed that I had completely torn my RCL and LCL at the time I had fractured my radial head. Then as a consequence of the dislocation, I sustained impaction fractures and bruising to my ulnar and humeral heads. I also took off a piece of cartilage that needs to be removed. They're going to try to repair the ligaments, remove the piece of cartilage, and do a cartilage graft. However, this could turn into an elbow reconstruction. I guess I am posting here because I've never been under general anesthesia before, just light sedation, and am wondering if anyone else has had a similar surgery? The protocol my surgeon is following is very similar to the Tommy John procedure done on pitcher's elbows when they have a torn UCL. What kind of pain should I expect? 

advertisement

Comments

• Welcome climber14 we’re glad you’re here!

I have not had this particular surgery, I did have surgery on my right elbow, a bone spur had cut a tendon 3/4 of the way through, that surgery was fairly painful and recovery was tough, but my elbow has not given me any problems since.

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

You can also find information about elbow surgery on, Sports-health.com, All articles are authored by expert health professionals and reviewed by our experienced editorial team. This rigorous editorial process is modeled after that of a medical journal and ensures all of the articles are accurate, comprehensive, and unbiased. I hope you find this information helpful.

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.

Chip 

Veritas Health Forum Moderator

Sign In or Join Us to comment.