advertisement
advertisement

T-10 to S-1 Fusion

My T-10 to S-1 Fusion was September 2019 and I’m a few days from the 6 month post surgery checkup with the surgeon.  Just wondering if anyone else has had a fusion close to the length of mine and you experienced in recovery.  I’m still in pain a lot of the time and getting frustrated.  Thanks.GmaB

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,476

GmaB

I'm sure it is frustrating but this was a big surgery. While you are waiting for replies, below is a link to a discussion by another member that had the same surgery. There are a lot of good replies in this discussion regarding recovery.

Post op journey - long fusion T10-pelvis 

Take care and please keep us posted on how you are doing.
    Sandra
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• I would love to chat had my 8 week checkup yesterday and while I do not have significant back pain I have right groin pain that makes walking awful. I should mention I still walk with a walker and on pain meds. I would love to hear your progress from 8 weeks out. I had the same surgery.

• advertisement
  • I would love to chat had my 8 week checkup yesterday and while I do not have significant back pain I have right groin pain that makes walking awful. I should mention I still walk with a walker and on pain meds. I would love t

• Hello...I am celebrating 4 months out from a t10-pelvic fusion. 2 rods, 24 screws. Mostly doing very well. Riding my bike, playing golf (not well), and sleeping and getting around fine. Still some pain in my left buttocks just below the belt line. I am thinking it is due to the long screw used to fixate the rod to the pelvis. I do a lot of stretching and that helps. I also wore a full brace for about 2 and a half months, except in bed, and an e-stim brace for 2 hours a day until just now. A lot of creaking in my spine when I move certain ways, but no pain. I can walk with no aids, but prefer to use a cane or hiking poles, mostly for balance. I also have some foot drop on my left and a fused right ankle. (plus a right hip and a left knee, but those are fine). Putting on socks is a bit tough but I can do it now and put on and tie shoes. My PT says that you need to expect one month per inch of surgery until you are back to full capability. I have a 13 inch incision. So, I guess I have to be realistic. Good luck to both of you. Patience is helpful, but you also need to push through pain to make progress. I am just now wrapping up PT, and he helped me a lot.

• Thank you everyone for your comments.  It really helps to know what I’m experiencing is not unusual.  Had my 6 month check up with the surgeon last week.  Exray looks good, hardware looks good. He is pleased with my progress and understands about the pain and encouraged me to keep up with walking and PT exercises, use my TENS unit, Tylenol, Tramadol and muscle relaxants as needed.  The one month recovery per inch of incision tells me I’ve got another 4 months at least to go.  Thanks again everyone.

• advertisement
  • Happy to hear that things are going as planned

Take care

Chip

• Well It really does seem as though recovery from this type of surgery is an up and down, or two steps forward one step back process.  I can move around and do light housework, cooking, laundry, dress & take care of all personal needs, walk (slower than before surgery), drive, etc.  The pain seems to be getting harder to control and moving in bed is difficult.  Woke up this morning at 5:30 with pain in area of surgical area.  Am sitting in recliner with heating pad sand it’s helping.  It also helps to know all of you understand and am grateful for this safe place to “whine” for a few moments.  At 3 - 4 months thought this recovery was going to go forward easily.  Now at 6 months looking back it seems that it started being more painful around 5 months.  Here’s my questions: Does beginning PT cause more pain as muscles, nerves, etc.  learn to move again in a new environment?  Do you push through the pain or give the body a rest from P T for a day or so?  Thanks for listening again to a 75 year old grandmother whose tired of the pain.  Barbara

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,476

Barbara

For the type of surgery you had, and at your age, I think you are doing a great job at recovering. It amazes me at what all you are able to do. Doing PT now would not be any different with any type of surgery. Your body has been in limbo for months trying to heal and now you start exercising. Like you said, the muscles have to learn how to move again and build back up.

Listen to your body, do what it tells you to. But don't overdo. Take care and whine all you want to, we all do.
    Sandra

• Thank you Sandra for your words of encouragement.

• I am in horrible pain but not my back my leg/hip/groin area of right leg. Walking is almost impossible and pain meds and muscle relaxers barely touch it. Surgeon put me on prednisone pac last week. Helped a bit first 2 days but now it is back in full force. Seems sitting aggravated it. If I lay down I can get some relief. I am 11 weeks post a very long fusion from pelvis to T8. Calling surgeon in morning I can not function like this. All started around 4 weeks ago after PT stretching. I am so disappointed. Anyone else experience this?

• Unfortunately, 11 weeks is just getting started after such a big surgery, calling the surgeon is a good idea, hopefully they can adjust or add medications that will help, hang in there

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

• My surgeon also said it’s normal with the extensive surgery I had for it to take a full year for recovery.  It’s been more painful since hitting the 5-6 month mark and with added PT.  Sitting in most situations still triggers pain.  The TENS unit has become my best friend.  My Granddaughter who is an Emergency Department doctor reminds me to rest, do what PT I can unless it hurts, and realize this is a BIG surgery.  We are all experiencing various difficulties & challenges and it does get so difficult both physically and emotionally.  Let’s do what we can to hang in there.  I know that’s easier said than done.

Barbara 

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.