advertisement
advertisement

Weight gain a few years later

Hello. This is my first time posting and I just joined. A couple of years ago I had weight-loss surgery and lost 60 pounds originally. Unfortunately that’s right around the time I had serious back pain developed. It got so bad that I lost my job, had to move back in with my parents and was almost completely bedridden for a year. I saw doctors that recommend the wrong treatments. It was incredibly frustrating. But I did finally find the right doc and he found the problem.  He told me that I had a pars defect, which is a birth affect where part of your spine is not fully formed when you’re born. Fir some people who have this birth affect, it can become very painful in their 30s and they don’t even know they have it until then. Which is exactly what happened to me. performed the spinal fusion at L5 S1.

The fusion was done in 2017. Despite being stuck in bed before that I continue to lose. And after surgery as I moved more and with PT, I picked up the pace and lost more weight. About 90 pounds total. 

Last year i started gaining weight again. I’m having a hard time with it because I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Which I believe was partly triggered by the back pain and back surgery. So I’ve been going back to my old ways and eating too much as a comfort. Which is not something I want to rely on again.

I am in aqua therapy which is tremendously helpful. I am getting a lot stronger in a lot of pain relief from it.

Buy my concern is if this extra weight will cause further back problems for someone who’s had spinal fusion. I’m starting to feel like my stomach is heavy and pulling in me. I felt like that for a long time anyway but it seems to be getting a little worse. I know those muscles still need to be strengthened. But I’m concerned the extra fat is causing me to feel this way. And I don’t want to make things worse for myself. Anybody else experienced anything like this? Could it be that I am not actually experiencing extra pain but I am perceiving that I am because I’m concerned about my weight? Or is it actually causing extra pain?

advertisement

Comments

• blwrites, sorry you have Chronic pain and have had to join this site but you will get a lot of helpful information here. I have chronic issues with all my spine. My son found he had pars defect when he fell through the roof at work when 23, now 33 he struggles along , still working full time as a cabinet maker.  When it gets unbearable he goes to physio and takes a week off work. What meds are you on? As there are a few out there that can make some people gain weight, I hope some one chimes in with a similar issue to give you some tips on what helps with some relief. Harpy

• Welcome blwrites we’re glad you’re here!

Every doctor or surgeon I have ever talked to has said that extra weight can cause added back pain

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

You might want to check out the Fibromyalgia Health Center on Arthritis-health. It has a number of great articles and videos that you might find helpful, including How to Get a Fibromyalgia DiagnosisFoods to Avoid with Fibromyalgia, and How to Create a Fibromyalgia-Friendly Diet. I hope you find these resources helpful. 

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.

Chip 

Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.