advertisement
advertisement

Long fusion recovery and groin pain

I am 2 months post 8 level lumbar fusion. Not really having back pain but now I am having pain in my groin area of right leg. Makes walking extremely difficult even with a walker. Anyone else had this? Surgeon says it is common since spine is in a different alignment and using different muscles. It all started after PT was a little too aggressive in my opinion 3 weeks ago. I can not take anti inflammatory medications because I have a blood clot from surgery and am on blood thinners. I am on prescription pain meds. 

advertisement

Comments

• After my fusion surgeries I had hip and some groin pain, surgeon said basically the same thing, things are different back there now and your body has to have time to adjust.

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

• Did you have an S1 fusion as well?  Both my PT  and the surgeon’s office said that this type of groin pain is common post surgery. The treatment would be SI joint exercises. Mine also popped up 2 months post-surgery. If you are not seeing a competent PT person check on you tube. There are a number of videos posted by reputable Physical Therapists that deal with SI joint pain. Groin pain is a major symptom of SI joint problems. Hope this helps

• advertisement
  • My fision is L3-L5, L5-S1 is also ruptured but trying to hold off

• Mine is pelvis to t8

• That is a very long fusion and it will take time, but you already knew that. My surgeon wants me to do T10-S1, I am putting it off as long as possible, I have already had 7 surgeries, so far I can still walk, feel like I am tempting fate, if you know what I mean.

Take care

Chip 

• advertisement
  • I was supposed to have a 2 level fusion. This was totally unexpected. I had a fracture at L5 with horrible sciatic nerve pain. When they started the surgery they found numerous small fractures up my spine. Yes osteoporosis got the best of me. The fractures did not show on MRI. I had no choice, fuse or let my back come crumbling down and possibly be paralyzed. Crazy before this I never even complained of a back ache. It was like someone flipped a switch. Truly has been an unexpected experience. Mentally i was not prepared for this and still am not. Struggle daily but God will take care of me. I am putting it in His hands.

• It would be hard enough to get mentally prepared knowing you were going to have that surgery, but being surprised by it has got to be a shock. One way of looking at it is at least it got done in one surgery instead of multiple surgeries, but the work of recovery is long and tiring, you can do it though, we have a few members that have had long fusions, they got through it and you can too.

Take care and keep us posted

Chip  

• "we have a few members that have had long fusions, they got through it and you can too."

Thanks Chip, you will never know how much I needed to read that.  This is tough but thanks to you and others I now know the reason for the groin pain and also know I can get thru it.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.