advertisement
advertisement

New sciatic pain & left foot numbness after dual fusion

Hello. I had L4-S1 fusion 5 wks ago. Postop I woke up with numb left foot (inner and top).  I still have numbness in my left foot, but a few days postop, I started having nerve pain that goes from buttock, down the back of my left leg then to my heel/foot.  Another odd symptom to me is that the side of my left buttocks/hip area has been tender to touch since postop.

So far, the good thing is, my preop pain was all middle and right side pain...and seems to have been fixed. This is all new pain with the left. Has anyone experienced similar symptoms? Did is pass with time like my surgeon says it will?

advertisement

Comments

• Welcome boomhauer2000 we’re glad you’re here!

It is not unusual to have new and different pain after surgery, most of us here including me have had it happen after surgery, during surgery muscles were cut, nerves were moved and stretched, add all that in to the fact the nerve was compressed before surgery and they are now searching for their new normal. It takes time and patience to recover, if the nerve pain gets to be too much, there are medications that can help, for me it has always gotten better.

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

Have you read the article Practical Advice for Recovering from Back Surgery on Spine-health? It offers a lot of practical tips around what to expect before, during, and after surgery. You may also want to check out the video How to Prep Your Home for Spine Surgery Recovery, which also has some great tips.

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.

Chip 

Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,161

boomhauer2000

Below is an article on nerve pain after surgery that may help you understand this better.

scar tissue and nerve pain after surgery 

Sandra

• advertisement
  • Thank you both. @memerainbolt, I appreciate the link and I have read that and many articles on nerve pain. I'm looking more for folks with personal experience with similar symptoms. But I do appreciate the direction.

Sign In or Join Us to comment.