advertisement
advertisement

I re-herniated. What are my options.

I had a micro in November of 2019. I was good up until about 8 weeks. I started experiencing extreme anxiety that caused me to try and correct things that weren’t wrong with me. I started realizing what I have done about week 12. I tried a spin bike and experienced burning in my hamstring so I stopped. Later that night my tailbone felt as if my lower back and tail bone was on fire. The next day was my follow up. I requested an MRI and it confirmed I reherniated my L4/L5. After surgery I was left with 90-95 percent of my disc. My surgeon seems to thing everything is fine but I can clearly see on the MRI it is not. The notes even read reoccurring central disc extrusion. I’m am mainly pain free as long as I don’t sit for too long and try to do any bending for a extended period of time. It must not be very big because it doesn’t bother me throughout the day. I guess my problem is I am 30. I wanna run, ride a bike  and sit at a restaurant with my wife and not have to worry about getting up. I’ve considered going to a different doctor with my mri because honestly I’m afraid to approach my surgeon again. I’m too embarrassed. I know second micros can be performed, but can a micro be performed on a central disc extrusion? Any advice? I’m too afraid to do anything active since the spin bike. I’m also very afraid of cauda equina syndrome because it’s central. 

advertisement

Comments

• Welcome matt1989 we’re glad you’re here!

A re-herniation is nothing to be embarassed about, it happens sometimes, happened to me after my first surgery, personally I would go back to the surgeon and explain what is going on, if he still says it's no big deal, have him/her explain why they think so, if you still don't agree then a second opinion would be a good idea. I ended up needing a second surgery 3 months after the first, it fixed the problem but if you can heal without another surgery it would be great.

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

Have you visited the Herniated Disc Health Center on Spine-health? It has a number of comprehensive articles and videos that you might find helpful, including common causes of a herniated disc, symptoms, and treatment options. I hope you find this information helpful.

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.

Chip 

Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• Also, the mri report states facet hypertrophy at the level. Is that serious? Can someone explain what this is?

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,161

Matt

I agree with Chip. Don't be embarrassed because something happened. Go back to your surgeon, he knows you and what he did in the last surgery and will help you again. Go to the search box at the top right of the page and key in facet hypertrophy. Scroll down past the ads and you will ind articles on this.

Sandra
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

Sign In or Join Us to comment.