advertisement
advertisement

Feeling down? Or isolated? Let's support and lift each other up

As a Veritas Health Forum moderator, I want all of our members to know that we're here to support each other and lift each other up during these challenging times. 

If you are feeling down right now, or if you just want to talk about how coronavirus has impacted your life, please know that we are here to listen and support you. We're all in this together     Sandra
advertisement

Comments

• I live in New York and this State has the most cases. I have a spinal cord injury so I’m vulnerable. Although I’m isolating myself at home, my sister is a nurse and she also takes the train and the bus to get to and from work. I’m concerned for her and me if she should contracts and doesn’t until she starts showing symptoms. trying very hard not to get paranoid, but I find myself keeping a distance when she returns home from work. I’m so scared of contracting this virus cause of my condition cause I know 

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,564

marisa

I think right now we all feel vulnerable, especially in our conditions. I'm sure your sister knows what precautions to take when she comes home. And I think you are doing the best thing by staying home. I don't get out either but my husband has to. He takes every precaution he can before and after he comes home.

We live in a very rural area in southern Indiana and we have no cases here so far. But we are still being careful. And right now, that is all anyone can do. 

If you need to talk, we are here. Take care and hope to hear from you again.
    Sandra

• advertisement
  • We’re all concerned, some people are just going nutso in the shops. Just keep washing your hands and disinfect all surfaces, taps , door handles. And as they keep saying don’t touch your face unless you have clean hands.  We all will be right if we do as the heads of our countries tell us to do.  I had to go our for my yearly mammogram yesterday, I wasn’t worried , I did the correct personal hygiene as did the nurses. But I did cancel my dental apt, lol do anything to get out of that one lol lol. Try to Keep calm  as the stress is something else we don’t need. Harpy

• Things are getting crazy for sure, I live in North Carolina, so far only 32 confirmed cases statewide, none in my county or anywhere close to me, all schools are closed for 2 weeks and probably longer, all resteurants wer instructed to close to dine in customers at 5 pm today, people are buying the grocery stores out as fast as they can restock, like I said crazy. I also have rheumatoid arthritis, the medication I take supresses your immune system, I am trying to be as careful as possible, but I am not going to completely isolate myself, I am one of those people that just can't do that.

Chip

• I am home most of the time too.  I usually only go out for doctor appointments, haircuts, maybe to grocery store, things like that.  When it first came out that the virus was in the US, my husband had just heard about the toilet paper shortage and mind you we shop for one week at a time so we never have much in the house.  So he went to Sams and got 64 rolls of toilet paper and 30 rolls of paper towels.  I had him get extra hand sanitizer and alcohol because I make all my home cleaners and they all use alcohol.  He also filled the freezer and the pantry.  Then 3 days later was where everyone was showing all the empty shelves of paper goods and cleaners.  We truly weren't hoarding I checked with every elderly person I know and ended up sharing about half of the toilet paper and some of the paper towels.  I couldn't stand the thought that we now had so much and an elderly person might have to go without.  we also got extra water so we are good for a month or so.

I went on line just to see and you can't find alcohol or hand sanitizer anywhere.  I only have one bottle and really wanted two because like I said all my home cleaners I make have alcohol in them.  I have always cleaned my bathrooms everyday.  I am also cleaning switch plates and door handles as well.  I made my own disinfecting wipes and also made a few for elderly neighbors.  You cut up old kitchen towels in squares, add 1/4 cup alcohol, 2 cups water and 2 teaspoons dish liquid.  Put the liquid in a mason jar and gently shake then start putting the rags into the jar til the liquid is all absorbed.  I think I got 12 or 13 in the jar til it was full.  Put the lid on and turn upside down so the top rags get wet.  I shake it before I take a towel out and use them to wipe down my kitchen surfaces once in the morning and once at night.  They are good for wiping the bathroom and anything else.

I hope that the virus won't be as bad as it has been in other countries but we have to be prepared for anything.  The hand washing we all probably should have been doing anyway.  It's good practice.  I hope everyone is doing well and have all they need to get thru this.  I am praying for you all.

Cindy

• advertisement
  • Cindy, we need more generous people like you who shared . It is so embarrassing watching how some people actually fight in the shop over loo paper.  Thanks so much for to tip on the disinfect wipes, definitely will pass it onto my family. Harpy

• I pray for you and your sister's safety Marisa. We are all worried about this new pandemic, and staying at home rather than going out is the best first step to be safe. Wash your hands all the time and if you have time and energy, you can disinfect your home from time to time too as a better precaution.

• Hi everyone and thanks for the good tips and encouragement. We surely do need one another and I think that will be one of the good things that come out of this. When we see our political leaders working together for the greater good, we know a miracle is happening lol. 

I live in the Kansas City, Kansas area and we really dragged our feet on some things but yesterday it was almost scary how fast they moved. Restaurants, take out only, reduced grocery store hours, libraries and government buildings, churches  and Universities  closed and lots of stores closed. The biggest thing was all Kansas schools K-12 closed for the rest of the year! They will help parents figure out how to teach kiddos from home. It's shocking how fast all of this is moving. 

Personally I'm staying in as much as possible. We've had no problem getting food and supplies as of yet. I am struggling with the decision as to whether to continue PT and whether to cancel upcoming eye and dental appointments. I also have a med check with my Primary on Friday and I need my pain meds renewed so guess I'll have to go to that one. I did email her to see if we could do a phone conversation and I could pick up my prescription so we'll see. Anyway, stay safe everyone and we will get through this. It is an opportunity to show kindness and to reach out to our neighbors. 

Shalom, Joanne

• is anyone concerned about the possibility of their doctor's office closing and unable to get their Rx?  I'm not sure, but in my state it think it's state law you have to meet with the provider in person every 30 days in order to receive your Rx even though it is electronically sent.

just one person getting the virus in the office is all it will take...or the Governor shutting down businesses on his own 

if that's true, hopefully an emergency order through the Legislature can happen in order to have Rx sent in without actually having to make an office visit to a closed office...hopefully it doesn't come to that 

Call your doctor's office to see what their protocol will be for appointments and refills on meds will be. I've had to do this because next week I have to have my pump refilled. And there is no getting around that, I have to go. But precautions are in place and I will wear gloves and a mask.

Of all the crazy stories we are hearing, there is a lot of good coming out too from people like Cindy and her husband. My granddaughter is sharing her breast milk with other mom's she knows that can't find formula. My other granddaughter is keeping her friend's kids so her friend can work, she's a single mom. And there are more stories than this of people helping others'.

We do not have any cases here but all the schools and restaurants are closed. The grocery store and Walmart are closed at night to restock. I don't go anywhere anyway so staying home does not bother me. But a lot of people are having a hard time. We just have to stick together and get through this.

Sandra

• I had a rheumatologist appointment today, they called yesterday and questioned me about any symptoms and if I had traveled to certain places in the last 30 days, when I got there this morning I had to answer all the same questions again, when I finally got to see the doctor she wore gloves for the examination which she normally doesn't do, so everybody is being very careful and I did not feel uncomfortable at all being there.

Chip

•   Down here in Australia our schools are staying open. The government doesn’t want grandparents ( the most at risk ) having to  take care of kids while parents still worked. I do bulk cooking when I cook so we have plenty of frozen meals . But once there gone it will be diet time. The shops ( and I have a lot of large supermarkets around my area) are already picked bare . The 1st hour shopping is for the elderly and disabled ( which is great)  though I do have a very large pumpkin patch with different varieties, so may be living on pumpkin soup lol.

• I was supposed to have my med check Friday and I emailed my doctor to ask if I should come in. She said no, since I am high risk she didn't want me in the office unless it was necessary. She will let me pick up my written prescription tomorrow. They are screening everyone in the lobby to even get in so I know they are being super careful. The government seems to be relaxing restrictions on some things but I really don't think we need to fear our doctor's office closing. She also told me I should not go to PT which is a bummer but I'd rather be safe. If you have a pain pump like Sandra it's not an option not to go in but I trust they will be super careful. That's really great about your granddaughters Sandra.. Yes we have to stick together and help where we can. 

• Hi everyone, I live in California and it’s pretty bad here. Fortunately I live in the desert but my dr.s are in a bigger town where there are a few cases in the hospital that my dr.s are affiliated with. I have one more post op appt. for my cataract surgery. I postponed my mammogram and an evaluation with arthritis dr. I have been in and out of so many offices,labs,and the surgery center this month I was getting so anxious. Pain levels went way up with all the anxiety. I worry about meds too. Three times this week I needed my breakthrough meds. I am not afraid of germs but have had a terrible fear of doctors and all things medical since I was a child. You would think as a chronic pain person I would have gotten over that lol. We have an order of a case of 12 bottles of alcohol on the way. It was all that was left, so we ordered it and I have a few high risk friends on oxygen that I plan to share with. Lots of time to pray, especially for all of you. Nancyann 

• asteris_aasteris_ Posts: 4
    edited 03/22/2020 - 9:46 AM

I'm staying at home like everyone else. Not that I have a choice. I'm 25 years old, waited two months to have discectomy-laminectomy surgery, which got canceled three days before the procedure. No surgeries are being done in my country besides those which, if not done quickly, present life threatening consequences. I don't think this situation will change any soon.

Even though things have somewhat improved pain wise there are still pretty bad days, and my right leg weakness is progressively getting worse. All physiotherapy and diagnostic centres are closed, and I don't think I can self medicate with pills and injections for two or three months more. Exercises also don't seem to provide any comfort and just aggravate the pain. My doctor also cannot write any new prescriptions, and I don't think I'll be able to take amitriptyline any more, which did alleviate the nerve pain since started.

So I'll try my best to come out of this sane :p

Wish you all the best

asteris_

I am so sorry your surgery was cancelled. It's happening all over though. Hopefully this all will calm down and things can get back to half way normal. Like anything else, we just have to have patience.

nancyann
    How are things in Cal.? I don't watch the news, it just got too depressing. We do not have any cases here. Walmart closes every night to stock and the first hours in the morning are for the elderly.  We have what we need, we are not over buying, there are other people that need it worse than we do. This is a rural, tight knit area so we call our neighbors and stay in touch.

Take care!
    Sandra

• Jules1JJules1 Oklahoma City, OklahomaPosts: 77

I am interested in how getting pain meds continues. My next appointment is in another week.I don’t know what priorities Pharmacies and manufacturers have on Chronic pain meds

Jules1

As far as getting your pain meds from your doctor's office, I would call them and see what changes they are making. I called my pharmacy and they said the only thing that has changed is that you can only use drive thru. All meds will be filled. But that is my pharmacy so you should call yours'.

Sandra

• Because of age and health issues I have planned to stay in. Our library, Senior Center, and church all closed down so my social life came to a standstill. Did go for an MRI done at Orthopedic Center not the hospital or I would have canceled. MRI is off to itself with single person waiting area.  The day I got my results the office was screening at the door and taking temperatures. My doctor was so discouraged because he had to cancel so many surgeries and making those decisions were tough. I can live with my results for now. He ordered another epidural at C6 for March 8. I'm thinking of cancelling the appointment and just waiting it out. And yes I really don't like getting them. 

• Sandra,my town is a tourist area because of the National Park. They had to close that from too many tourists camping. Unfortunately alot of people from the cities are coming here and renting for weeks and months. The problem is we have a small hospital,less urgent care centers and the nearest testing is about 40 minutes away. We have only a handful of grocery stores. I can’t say I blame the city people,realtors say they sound desperate to get out of LA etc.We have a close knit community and emailing to check on friends. We have grocery delivery which helps and a drive thru pharmacy. My sister still lives in NJ just outside NYC. She is high risk and is staying in. My niece works as security in NYC hospital and I worry about her. I understand why people are fleeing the cities but it puts added pressure on our community resources. Stay well everyone, Nancyann

nancyann

For now, all we can do is stay in. But I can see why people are wanting to get out of the cities. We still do not have any cases in our area, thank God. I hear a lot of people saying they are bored and don't know what to do, they are just not used to staying home. I hope your sister and niece stay safe. 

My grandson's fiance had to get tested last week and was told it would be 5-7 days to get the results. Monday, she had to go to the ER, fever and could not breathe. They could not find her test results so sent her home with an inhaler and steroids. It seems they just aren't prepared.

Take care and stay in.
    Sandra

• My surgery that was scheduled for April 6th has also been cancelled.  I was really looking forward to it for a chance of getting some relief.  It’s just been really bad timing and my thoughts go out to those that are being affected by Covid19.

I finally was able to get a neck MRI a couple of months ago (Feb ‘20).  I was suffering for well over a year from dizziness, headaches, weakness in the arms/legs, etc. just to name a few.  Once the results of the MRI came back, I was referred to a Neurosurgeon.  I have severe narrowing of the spinal canal at C5-C6 and was going to have ACDF surgery.

Now that it’s been cancelled, the uncertainty of when or even if I’ll be rescheduled weighs heavy.  It’s tough to have a positive outlook when you’re not feeling well but I’ll try to give it my best shot.

• Cujo

I know it's hard, but try to stay as positive as possible, the virus will come to an end, too many top doctors and scientist working on it to not find something, so hang on, you will be rescheduled. I can somewhat relate, my neck has been giving me a fit lately, already had 1 surgery, I went to the doctor Monday, at this time I can't even get a scan of my neck.

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

• We have about 120 cases between Kansas City Mo and KC Kansas. It seems there are new ones every day so I don't know where it's going to end. We're on a 30 day stay at home order so I've been staying in except for a trip to the grocery store during 'senior hour'. I woke up this morning with horrible muscle spasms, actually didn't sleep most of the night. It got so bad all I could do was sob. My roommate suggested I call to see if my PT was working. I had cancelled all my appointments. She was working today and said if I wanted to come in she would bring me in the private employee entrance and take every precaution she could. I'm so very blessed. I decided to go out of desperation and she did deep tissue massage for 45 minutes. I know I probably took a chance but I feel so much better tonight. She opened all the doors for me and I didn't touch as thing. She is working about 50% of her usual time because most people are afraid to come. 

What a crazy time we are living through. I agree Chip, we have the best doctors and scientists day and night working on this. It's a massive undertaking but I think they are making progress every day. Stay safe friends and thanks for being there. 

Joanne

• Well this morning I heard there are now almost 500 cases in the metro area so it's obviously on the rise here. Ugh! Lord have mercy. 

Joanne

Please stay home. This will get worse before it gets better. There are so many people running around with this virus and don;t even know they have it. I had to go to the doctor yesterday to have my pain pump refilled. I id not know until I got there that they were closed except for my appointment. 

The pain center is on the 5th floor and we go thru the parking garage right up to the door. I do not have to go thru the hospital. It was kind of eerie, no cars, no people, just me, the doctor and the nurses. He told me to go home and stay there. If I started running fever or coughing to go to the emergency room. But even then, if you are tested, you will be over it by the time you get the results back.

You are right, very trying times but we will survive, we always do.
    Sandra

• I was the only one there yesterday and in a room by myself and my PT so I really felt safe. I had to answer a few questions for a nurse that brought me through the door but didn't see anyone else and wasn't near the waiting room. You're right, it is a eerie feeling but praise God for our healthcare providers! Take care!

Joanne 

If anyone has questions about the virus, go to the the thread "Post you COVID questions here". We have a team of doctors that will give you answers and is being monitored by Veritas Health.

Sandra

• I am lucky to some extent, I live in a fairly rural area and have a few acres of land, I can go out and walk around and not take a chance of being around anybody but the dog. They just shut the city down today, we only have 3 reported cases so far, but you know there will be more. I still go out for appointments, but being very careful about being around anybody.

Chip

• The county judge has issued a stay at home  edict starting at 11:59 tonite.

A local dj stirring the pot questioned the orders...

Its simple here..we have the leeway to follow simple rules..as we have been and we have a measure of freedom within set bounds for the good of all.

I rather be told

"You should not" rather than " you will not"

So many are magnificent and complying that its a social movement of sorts to be complying!..and making peer pressure work for the good of all.

As someone said

The sooner we hunker down..the sooner this resolves itself and we can go back to normalcy.

The exposures coming out are a matter of course from the testing finding the inevitable carriers who would have gone unknown otherwise...it was to be expected and should be welcomed as a absolute good to protect the masses.

Were mobilizing to fight what could be worse and ime glad to see my city acting together!

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.