advertisement
advertisement

One year after fusion surgery

Its been a long year of recovery. The horrible sciatic pain is gone, but I still cannot walk very long, or stand too long. I completed physical therapy, and was told the nerve damage I experienced prior to the surgery, would take a long time to recover from. I continue to exercise, in the hope that I will return to normal. I should mention that I am 75 years old, but have always been very physically active. Any encouraging words for me?

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,476

Yes!! Keep doing what you have been doing, at our age we should never quit exercising. At least you are not in pain anymore. I cannot stand or walk very long either. Now that the weather is better I plan on walking every day, whether it hurts or not.

I hope you do return to normal, it will just take time. The older we get the longer it takes.

Take care and keep walking!!
    Sandra

• Thanks memerainbolt for the encouragement. 

• advertisement
  • Thank you all for your posts.. Maybe someone has some advise for me.. I am 8 months post op spinal L5-S1 Fusion. I was making progress with PT then the covid19 hit and then workmans comp denied my PT. that set me back. Now the nerve pain is bad. Some days I feel like I am dragging my foot down the road. I am able to walk 3/4 to 1 mile. I use to walk 3 or 4 with no problem. Then meds are doing all they can. I am frustrated now. They are pushing me to go back to work and I am not ready. 

Anyone have any thoughts? 

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,476

eagle76sct

Have you called your doctor and let him know about the nerve pain? And, have you tried doing the exercises at home that you did in PT?  

Sandra

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.