advertisement

In this Discussion

advertisement

L5 S1 recovery

Hi, I'm a 38 year, 5 weeks post opt L5 S1 fusion.  Overall I am doing ok. I did not receive any stretches or exercises I could do for stiffness?, hoping someone could give some pointers. Pain, I have good days and bad. Nerve pain seems to flare up but then subside.  Do have back pain sometimes to go with it. I am up moving around, walking.  How do I know if I'm over doing it or the fusion is not healing correctly?  I know some nerve pain is to be expected, my recovery seemed better last week, this week I'm in more pain than before.  Walking and moving seem to help, I start pt in another 2 weeks, if there any safe exercises anyone could point me too

advertisement

Comments

• Welcome cathy20 we’re glad you’re here!

We aren't allowed to give you any exercises, what's good for us, may not be for you, after my fusion surgeries I was told to basically just take it easy and walk for exercise, at the 3 month mark I was allowed to start physical therapy, they guided me through the proper exercises.

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

Have you read the article Practical Advice for Recovering from Back Surgery on Spine-health? It offers a lot of practical tips around what to expect before, during, and after surgery. You may also want to check out the video How to Prep Your Home for Spine Surgery Recovery, which also has some great tips.

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.

Chip 

Veritas Health Forum Moderator

Sign In or Join Us to comment.