advertisement
advertisement
The Veritas Health Forum is moving! On September 30, 2020, this Forum will no longer be available. Please read important information about the changes here.

Saddle area numbness after discectomy

I’m A 48 yo female. Developed sudden right foot drop.  Had L4/5 hemilaminectomy and discectomy 3/9/20.  Day 3 recovery had right leg sciatica.  Zapping pain moved up to inner thigh day 4.  Day 4 also feeling numbness in right saddle area.  Completely numb but thank goodness I can still feel when I have to go to the bathroom.  Surgeon told me he had never heard of this and I am on my own to figure it out.  After speaking to other physicians and reading on the internet that it will take time.  I never see the outcome and how long it takes typically. It’s very scary and frustrating.  Can anyone share a similar experience? 

advertisement

Comments

• Welcome daisy48 we’re glad you’re here!

A surgeon that says you are on your own to figure it out, never heard that one before. I have had new numbness and new pain after surgery, surgeons will tell you that the nerves were compressed before surgery, during surgery they were decompressed, moved and stretched which shocks them, that can create numbness in some cases and pain in others, I wish I could tell you how long, nerves heal at a very slow rate, or for me they always have, my surgeon has always said to give it a year, other members have said they were told 2 years, after my last surgery, I had numbness in my right foot that was not there before, it took 4 months, but the feeling did come back.

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

Have you read the article Practical Advice for Recovering from Back Surgery on Spine-health? It offers a lot of practical tips around what to expect before, during, and after surgery. You may also want to check out the video How to Prep Your Home for Spine Surgery Recovery, which also has some great tips.

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.

Chip 

Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• I agree with Chip.

1. Never heard a surgeon say you’re on your own.

2. Never heard of a spine surgeon who is unfamiliar with Cauda Equina Syndrome (CES).

I personally would get a second opinion from a different neurosurgeon as the surgeon who did the work seems disconnected—both physically and emotionally—from your situation.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

• advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.