advertisement
advertisement

Young with Chronic Pain

I’m 24 years old and I’ve been living with chronic pain for almost 10 years and it’s not getting any easier. I’m depressed, I’m angry, and I’m hopeless. I had 4 hip surgeries and I was promised that I would be strong enough to join the military. But instead I was left with more damage and there is no chance in hell that I could ever join the military. My life has been turned upside down and I self medicate, I lash out, I hold grudges and I can’t seem to get happy. I don’t know what I’m looking for out of posting this, but maybe just knowing there’s someone out there who is also young and is struggling to come to terms with the idea that you will be in pain every single day for the rest of your life. 

advertisement

Comments

• Welcome LivDel we’re glad you’re here!

I am not young anymore, but I have been where you are at, my first 2 back surgeries were at 22, third at 35, pain never really went away, this may sound silly to you but my way of dealing with it was this, I finally decided to look for the things I could still do instead of looking at what I couldn't do, I also accepted the pain, it was still there and still is 35 years later, I continued to work, had 2 kids and just kept going, pain will eat you up from the inside out if all you do is think about it, if you can't find your own way a professional may be needed. 

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

Have you read through our Chronic Pain Resources on Spine-health? You’ll find a number of valuable Chronic Pain Coping Techniques and resources for Understanding Neuropathy Symptoms. It’s a comprehensive resource for those seeking more information about chronic pain. I hope you find these resources helpful.

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.

Chip 

Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,314

LivDel

I am so sorry you are going this at such a young age. But pain does not discriminate. You did not state if you are currently in pain management or seeing a doctor. One of the best things I ever did was to get in pain management. Then I started seeing a psychologist who helped me with the anger, depression and anxiety.

Most of us on this forum understand what you are going thru mentally. We were used to doing what we wanted and living our lives. Now we can't. But like Chip said, we focus on what we can do. I am 71 yrs. young. 6 years ago I was riding my Harley, working in the yard and living my life. 

You are young enough that maybe something can still be done to get you out of pain. You just have to try and push forward. Get second or third opinions, get in pain management, you have options. But you are the only one that can find those options. Don't give up!!

This forum is a great place to talk, whine or cry, we have all been there. Keep us posted.
    Sandra
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• advertisement
  • I had two major surgeries before I was 14. I just focus on what I can do and not what I can’t do. You’re not alone. I could be better off but I could be a lot worse off. That’s how I’ve looked at it since I’ve been 14 or so.

Sign In or Join Us to comment.