advertisement
advertisement

Cervical laminectomy

Hi I had the above surgery 8 weeks ago c3-c7 although the pain in my neck is going I still have numbness and pain in my hands and right arm.

Is this normal. How long before my hands and arm become ok again.

RogerG 

advertisement

Comments

• Welcome rogerg we’re glad you’re here!

Thats a very hard question to answer, nerves heal very slowly, it also can depend on how long you had nerve compression before surgery, after my last surgery it took 4 months before the numbness and tingling went away, the surgery before that it only took a couple of weeks.

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

Have you read the article Practical Advice for Recovering from Back Surgery on Spine-health? It offers a lot of practical tips around what to expect before, during, and after surgery. You may also want to check out the video How to Prep Your Home for Spine Surgery Recovery, which also has some great tips.

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.

Chip 

Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• Hi Chip.thank you very much for your kind advice. I will certainly check out the articles you mention.

• advertisement
  • rogerg - With my multiple nerve root impingements and spinal cord injury, I've had multiple neurosurgeons and neurologists give me different expectation ranges of times for recovery.  Each case is different.  I've been told my multiple neuro doctors that there are several factors: (1) severity of impingement, (2) duration of impingement and (3) any other patient health considerations. 

If had three surgeries in my neck.  The results of each surgery was different.  I had numbness in hands and arms.  For the feeling that returned, for me took three to six months.  Some recovery was longer.

• Thank you for your answer.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.