advertisement
advertisement

Thoracic Epidural

Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 319

After waiting over a month I had a T5-6 epidural. The doc was recommended by the doctor that manages my pain pump. I hope it was worth the wait. I've had a lot of epidurals and other spine treatments over the years and the thoracic related are painful. I wasn't going to have sedation but the doctor talked me into it. It's about 6 or 7 hours since I had the epidural and it is sore so I'm glad I had sedation. I really hope this one helps relieve my pain in that area but I've not had much luck in the past with these types of procedures. I'll keep you posted. Take care, Jerome

advertisement

Comments

• I hope the epidural helps, I have trouble with all 3 levels of my spine, but the thoracic is by far the most painful.

Chip

• my doctor wanted me to get one in the t6-t7 but with the virus , in canada it a complete lock down

• advertisement
  • Jerome001Jerome001 Cocoa Beach, FloridaPosts: 319

I appreciate the responses. About a week or 10 days before my epidural the doctor's office called to see how I was doing and I got the sense if I said anything positive they were going to cancel my epidural. But, as the pain had not improved I told them so and I had the injection. My injection site soreness is gone and I have to say (knock on wood) that maybe the epidural has helped! I'm going to withhold my opinion for a week or so to see if the pain returns to its typical level but at the moment it seems positive. Fingers crossed (figuratively). I hope everyone is managing okay. Jerome

Had a telemedicine follow-up today for my thoracic epidural. In cases like this, technology is amazing. Bottom line was she is scheduling me for another T5-6 epidural. I'm excited about the prospect and hope I can get longer term relief this time. Hopefully, the next injection is very soon!

• jbowerjbower wisconsin Posts: 164

Hi Jerome,

That is amazing news!  Epidurals are always a hit or miss.  It always seems that they don't do anything for a lot of people.  I have never had any luck.

Can I ask why they want to do another one in the same spot?  If you are getting relief from the first one I don't understand why a second round is necessary.

• advertisement

My understanding was that the second epidural would reinforce the initial inflammation reduction. So far, after the second epidural, it is a little better. I find myself feeling a little better and then over doing it and suffering for it. I have to find a way to remind myself that feeling better does not mean the problem no longer exists. Still, I'm feeling better than before the first epidural. I agree epidurals are hit or miss and much depends on the doctor's skill. Because I had to move a lot for work, I think I've had 7 or 8 doctors give me epidurals and I've only had one other doctor actually help me and that was a lumbar epidural. I am very thankful this doctor has joined my pain management practice because the pain at my T5-6 was really intense before.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.