advertisement
advertisement

How you view your cup

Determines if you see it half full

Or half empty....attitude determines outcomes 

Carry on Spiney!

advertisement

Comments

• The way I view it is I pour a full glass and drink half , it’s half empty.

Though if I only pour half a glass it’s half full . Lol

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,335

Lol, I'm the same, Harpy!!

• advertisement
  • An optimist sees the glasses as 1/2 full.

A pessimist sees the glasses as 1/2 empty.

An optometrist sees the glasses as 1/2 off with the purchase of a second pair.

• Haaaaa!

• Max_LeeMax_Lee New York, United StatesPosts: 174

We once spent an entire hour on this in Gen. Chem lecture. My Chem 201 professor called this 'How to Blow Up Someone's Brain in One Paragraph 101' but I call it 'Empty is a Bald-Faced Lie'. It goes like this:

The glass is always completely full, but the proportion of liquid to gas fluctuates at any given second due to atmospheric conditions. The halfway point where the gas to air ratio is 1:1 is purely perceptional and the same glass can be viewed to be many different percentages of gas to air based upon the viewpoint of the person looking at it. Therefore, the glass is never really at complete equilibrium for more than a fraction of a second and emptiness is perceived because of the inability of the human eye to see at a molecular level - emptiness is therefore a construct of the human mind. Our perception of what we cannot see in this instance is that there is a lack of visible matter, so we came up with the concept of emptiness to explain what we cannot perceive visually. 

Basically, we make up 'empty' to explain our inability to see all of the matter that is present inside the glass - the space is always occupied completely with water, whether in a gas or as a liquid but we only perceive the liquid. We call the matter we can't see 'emptiness' and see it as a lack of liquid. The 'empty' isn't actually a complete absence of water - it's there but just not in a form visible to us. There is no empty, just 'visible to humans' and 'not visible to humans'. 

The glass is full, there's always matter in one state or another inside of it. 

As for the comparison to life, I think the Doctor Who episode 'Vincent and The Doctor' explains it the best:

“The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don’t necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” 

• advertisement
  • Max_LeeMax_Lee New York, United StatesPosts: 174
    edited 05/22/2020 - 12:52 PM

EDIT: Whoops, double post

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.