advertisement
advertisement
The Veritas Health Forum is moving! On September 30, 2020, this Forum will no longer be available. Please read important information about the changes here.

Pressure in chest after thoracic surgery

I had surgery (T7-9) over a year ago. I had a pressure feeling going from surgery area towards the front of my chest. It feels like about the size of an empty toilet paper roll. It used to come and go after surgery but seems to be more constant lately.   It is quite uncomfortable and usually accompanied by muscle spasms and abdominal distension   Anyone have this happen?

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,697

klpalfy

I never had this kind of surgery but I know how bad muscle spasms hurt. If it were me, I would contact my doctor and let him know what is going on. If he is not seeing patients maybe he can at least give you some options.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Sandra

• I had T12 surgery 2 years ago, I still have some of the pressure in the rib area that you describe, I do not have muscle spasms though, I agree with Sandra that you need to contact your surgeon.

Take care

Chip

• advertisement
  • Thanks, I have an appointment soon with my GP .  I was lucky to get the surgery but the surgeon doesn’t know what to expect as he doesn’t have experience in this area. 

• From what I understand, the area you had surgery in is a very sensitive area with lots of nerves, a lot of surgeons will not touch the thoracic area, mine was low enough that there was no rib involvement, but it was still the most painful surgery I have had, and that includes fusion surgery.

Take care

Chip 

• Had a phone appointment today. I’ve been off medication for a year but it might be time to try something again. This time Cymbalta. 

I feel very fortunate to have to surgery and improve my mobility. Trying to make the most of this opportunity. 

• advertisement
  • I hope the medication helps

Chip

• jbowerjbower wisconsin Posts: 175

Hi klpalfy, 

Can I ask the reason why you had to have the surgery?  That's the area where I have been dealing with.  Horrible thoracic pain that gets to the point where I can't do anything.  Walking, sitting, carrying, up and down stairs.  Just about everything causes the pain to start and continue to grow.

I have that feeling in my chest area as well.  It doesn't hurt but it is something there that gets annoying fast.  My pain doctor says it has to deal with a pinched nerve.

Pain management got to the point where they can't help me anymore.  I had a pain pump implant which I regret it because it's not hitting the correct area.  I also have a stimulator due to sciatic nerve damage.  

The stimulator surgery is what caused the thoracic pain. They implanted a paddle right in that area and as time goes by the worse it gets.  I'm 38 years old and feel like I am in my 60's.  I've been turned down by plenty of surgeons that won't look into it.  They just go off what pain management says rather then ordering a new CT scan.  The last one I had was over 2 years ago.  The pain is a lot worse than it was 2 years ago.

I had stopped trying for some time as I gave up and said this is my life.  However, I an in process of seeing another spine care hospital to see.  I'm going to leave out some info I've heard and ask them to do imaging.  Normally I would say I have osteoarthritis but it has never been confirmed.  This pain management clinic is ass backwards on everything.  They are horrible at documenting anything.  All they said is I have osteoarthritis, bone spurs and advanced disk degeneration.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.