advertisement

In this Discussion

advertisement

Piriformis and hamstring stiffness

I am 5 months po L4,5 microdiscectomy and the excruciating radiating nerve pain has resolved, however I have tightness and discomfort/pain in my piriformis, hamstring, posterior knee and calf that is pretty constant. It feels like I need to stretch but it never feels relieved. At times the nerve becomes irritated from stretching, rolling and trigger point to the point I have started taking gabapentin 2 x day again prn. I try to exs 3-4 times a week and have started interval running on the treadmill which doesn’t bother my leg/buttock very much, until after I’m done. I use ice a few times a day with short term relief. Is this my new normal? 

advertisement

Comments

• Welcome itsmenatalie we’re glad you’re here!

Have you been offered any PT? If it were me that's what I would try first if you haven't already, after a couple of my surgeries that's what it took to get me to a good place, the therapist was able to work on the muscles and show me the proper exercises and the proper way to do them.

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

Have you read the article Practical Advice for Recovering from Back Surgery on Spine-health? It offers a lot of practical tips around what to expect before, during, and after surgery. You may also want to check out the video How to Prep Your Home for Spine Surgery Recovery, which also has some great tips.

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.

Chip 

Veritas Health Forum Moderator

Sign In or Join Us to comment.