advertisement
advertisement

4 and a half months post op acdf surgery c5-c6

I am almost 5 months post op acdf surgery. Recovery went well with no problems. All symptoms went away completely as soon as surgery was complete, until about 7 weeks ago when I moved to a new home. After moving, couches, tables and beds etc I noticed my index finger and middle finger got the familiar numbness and tingling I had before surgery. The doctor said it was possibly inflammation and prescribed prednisone. After finishing the steroid there was no change. My fingers have been numb ever since. On April 1st I returned to work as a CNA, heavy lifting included, and ever since I have had the return of constant neck pain, burning in my shoulder blades, it runs down the back of my arm, my forearm and into my hand. The numbness in my fingers have became constant and now the back of my hand is even numb. Just holding my head up straight sends burning pains all the way from my neck to my hand. The surgeon doesn't seem to think there should be anything wrong since I haven't had an "injury" and will not even see me until the end of June. My neck is having worse problems than before I had surgery and seems to only be getting worse. Has anyone had problems like this? 

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,464

Welcome brooklyn86 to the forum.

If it were me and I was having worse problems than before surgery, I would be calling the surgeon back and giving him a list of everything that is wrong, of what you can't do, and how bad the pain is. Sometimes when you explain it in detail they understand it better.

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

Have you visited the Neck and Back Surgery Health Center on Spine-health? 

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.
    Sandra
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• I had ACDF surgery C4-C7 a little over 2 years ago, I have numbness and tingling at times but nothing constant or lasting, if it were me, I would call the surgeons office again, do not be emotional, but be firm, tell them exactly what's going on step by step and that you need to be seen before the end of June, if that doesn't work, I would call somebody else.

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

• advertisement
  • @brooklyn86

I agree with Chip and Sandra. Personally I’d want a new MRI in the event of reherniation. Five months post-op with this much pain/complication seems like something that should be investigated further.

• Thank you everyone! Just an update... After an ER visit and finally seeing my surgeon and pushing for a new MRI, it turns out that I have another herniation. This time at the C7 level which has caused moderate stenosis and  mild herniations at C3-C5 levels. Thankfully those are not as bad as the one at the C6-C7 level. So for now it's back to the drawing board and another trip to see my surgeon in 2 weeks to discuss options. 

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,464

brooklyn86

Thanks for the update! Sometimes it pays to be pushy but I'm sorry this is what you had to find out. Below is a video on questions to ask your surgeon. It may help you on just getting your list together of questions you will need to ask him.

Questions to Ask Your Spine Surgeon Video

Take care and keep us posted.
    Sandra

• advertisement
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.