advertisement
advertisement

Butran Vs OxycontinXR

I have been on 10 mg of Oxycontin twice daily now for over 7 yrs (along with Vicodin 10/325-4x/day and Flexeril prn).  Recently my pain is still present to the extent that once enjoyable past times (gardening, longer walks) have been increasingly painful.  My NP is now contemplating Butran in place of the Oxy.  I am looking for any and all input on this medication especially those of you that have been on Oxycontin XR.

Thank you for your help!

advertisement

Comments

• I have taken most pain relievers at one point or another including oxy, I used Butrans for a couple of years and was very satisfied with it, you are not tied to the clock because it is there all the time, unfortunately my insurance quit paying for it and they changed me to Belbuca, it's the same medication but you have to take it twice daily.

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

• Tell me Chip...Did you find much difference in relief between Butran and Belbuca as far as pain relief goes and side effects?  I hear Butran can be quite expensive.  I also have a severe "adhesive tape" allergy and am weary of the patch form.  

• advertisement
  • I actually preferred the Butrans patch, the pain relief was 24/7, the doctor had to work with me on the dosage of the Belbuca, we started with 150 mcg and settled at 300 mcg, I was on 20 mcg with Butrans, which was the max. I do not have any contact allergies which may be a concern for you, but I do have dry mouth especially in the morning which can be challenging with Belbuca. The othe thing that is good about Belbuca is there is room to go up in dosage. As far as pain relief goes, I don't notice a whole lot of difference and I do still have break through meds. Hope this helps

Chip

• I spoke with my pain doctor this am about switching my current use of oxycontin xr twice daily to possibly MS Contin.  Have you any experience with this medication, ie; effectiveness, longevity etc.?  Any input is most helpful.

• That's one I haven't tried

• advertisement
  • I have never tried but ran. I was on 3o mg me contin and switched to 30 mg oxycontin which did wonders. For me switching from one to another was perfect. My pain doctor may switch me back in a year just to mix things up. Let us know how it works out for you or if they just increase your dose

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.