advertisement

In this Discussion

advertisement

Occipital to cervical fusion - questions for surgeons

Hello.  My daughter is 6 years old and will be having occipital reconstruction and occipital to cervical fusion surgery later this year.  The surgeons have not told me what C level the rods will be going down to yet.  My daughter had a sarcoma on her occiput and the surgeons had to remove most of her occipital bone.  I will be meeting with the surgeons soon to discuss planning for her surgery.  What sorts of questions should I ask?  Are we supposed to avoid anti-inflammatories while the bones fuse?  I am worried about the bone donor site, I think they are looking at her leg bones. We think she will be in a halo for 3 months post surgery to allow her grafts to heal.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Halo is not new to us, we were in one for 12 months, but I am wondering if we could get by with an aspen collar instead as it would be less traumatic. 

advertisement

Comments

• Welcome nziris we’re glad you’re here!

I am sorry your daughter is going through this, kids recover quickly and I hope that is the case for her.

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

Here’s a great article about ACDF surgery on Spine-health that you might want to check out: ACDF: Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion. The article outlines what to expect before, during, and after the procedure. I hope you find this information helpful.

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.

40 questions to ask your surgeon

Chip 

Veritas Health Forum Moderator

Sign In or Join Us to comment.