advertisement
advertisement

What is likely to happen?

Some of you have met me on line previously.  I have stenosis both in the lumber and neck area both classified as severe.  Surgery has been discussed but discounted due to the state of my spine and my age I am 80, otherwise in good health.  I have been told that my condition will worsen as time goes by.  Fortunately the progression, so far, has been slow but now the piper has to be paid.  My pain level is now reaching the stage where I am having trouble handling it in spite of a high level of opiate medication.  I can walk around the house but otherwise am forced to use my powerchair.  I find myself forced to lie on my bed after lunch with my legs elevated and the patches reinforced with OTC pills.  The level of pain is turning me into a miserable old b*****d.  The only way to bring the pain level down is to stay off my legs.  My question is simply this, am I going to be forced to use a wheelchair all the time?  In the past I have been complimented on the way I have dealt with my disability  and I have been more grateful than you could know for the support and encouragement I have received on this forum.  Have any of you been in this situation.  What is the best way forward?  I hope some of you will find the time to respond.  Best wishes to everyone. John

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,476

John

I remember you well, nice to have to back but I'm so sorry you are in this condition. I don't know if you remember my situation, almost one like yours. Scoliosis, stenosis, herniated disc from L1-S1, DDD, just about anything that can go wrong with my spine went wrong. Luckily, I have a pain pump, helps some. Walking is difficult at times.

But back to your question, am I going to be forced to use a wheelchair all the time? That will be left up to you and your body. I have an electric wheelchair, one that will go anywhere. I sit in it when I get on my laptop, it's very comfortable, will lay all the way back and is conformed to my body. But I don't ride in it. Not yet. I know I will have to some day but not now. Friends cannot get over how I get around and do the things I do, just like you. I guess we just don't want to give up yet.

Sometimes the pain will make us have to do what we don't want to. Like lay down or use your chair. But I look at this way, at least I'm still here and can still get around even if it is in a chair. A lot of it is a mental game. I always say, I'm going to hurt sitting here or sitting in my garden and I would rather be in my garden.

Nice to hear from you John and hope to hear from you again.
    Sandra

Sign In or Join Us to comment.