advertisement
advertisement

Psychogenic seizures and chronic pain

Has anyone else experienced these kind of seizures? My son who has issues with his lower back after failed back surgery, and neck issues, has had 3 of these in the last few months. It sent him to the hospital yesterday. Very scary!

advertisement

Comments

• Welcome PeggyM we’re glad you’re here!

Is it possible that he is having a reaction to a medication he is taking for the pain? The reason I ask is that I had a similar experience several years ago that was from a medication that the doctor had prescribed.

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

Have you read through our Chronic Pain Resources on Spine-health? You’ll find a number of valuable Chronic Pain Coping Techniques and resources for Understanding Neuropathy Symptoms. It’s a comprehensive resource for those seeking more information about chronic pain. I hope you find these resources helpful.

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.

Chip 

Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• PeggyMPPeggyM Posts: 6
    edited 05/30/2020 - 11:09 AM

Hi Chip! 

Thanks for the welcome. It has been a long time since I was on this wonderful site, so I am not really a new member. I joined in 2009 before my son's surgery.

My son came off all opioid medication over 1 1/2 years ago (except for medical cannabis that he has a licence for) and only takes medication (that he has been taking for years) that his psychiatrist has prescribed for him. When he was admitted to the hospital the other night, and after they took many tests, this was their diagnosis. I had never heard about it before so was interested in it. After doing some research I came here to see if anyone else has had the same problem. I am not sure about using links on this forum so won't post anything but it seems to be a common problem with both chronic pain patients and also fibro patients. The Epilepsy Foundation has been researching it because so many patients (25%) have been diagnosed with epilepsy when what they have had are Psychogenic seizures and the antiepileptic medication won't work for them. Interesting reading for sure because the seizures are a bit different from epileptic seizures.

Thank you for your comment. Sometimes any comment gets the ball rolling and people start to notice a post more.

Kind Regards,

Peggy

• advertisement
  • I hope the doctors can figure out a treatment plan for him, I know that has to be scary.

Chip

• Thanks Chip, yes, it is! Still hoping to find out more and now that my son knows what it is he can ask his psychiatrist to look into it and maybe find some answers for him. Thank you for your concern.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.