advertisement
advertisement

UPDATE- 3 Weeks Post Op ALIF L5-S1 Spinal Fusion Surgery

I’m 3 weeks post ALIF Spine Fusion L5-S1 and I feel fantastic.

I’ve been suffering with chronic back pain for 9 months from a very degenerated disc. I had surgery 2 years ago on the same disc Discectomy that herniated really bad. Classic nerve pain and numbness down my leg. Felt great for a year then the slow onset back pain slowly crept in over the following year. I’m a super active 47 year old weekend warrior type.  Super avid cyclist, Backpacker, Hiker, and Skier and my back pain shut me down entirely. Disc never re- herniated but it totally thinned and collapsed to almost nothing over the course of a year. My symptoms were just a constant dull aching pain, constantly stiff everywhere from my neck down to my buttocks. This totally shut me down and I wasn't able to do anything.  I could barely get of bed and go to work. I did try every conservative method to try and remedy the back pain but nothing helped.  I think everybody goes through their own process of accepting surgery as the only remedy. I was having really hard time accepting that one small thinning disc could wreak havoc to my whole back but you just know when it's time I guess. I'm so glad I did it! and wish I would have done it sooner instead of prolonging the constant suffering and anxiety it was causing me. I've been in constant pain for so long I forgot what I feels like to wake up in the morning and be pain free!! I guess I just got use to it.

Make sure you have a really good Orthopedic Spine Surgeon that you trust, and follow the recovery protocols to a tee.  I'm three weeks out and Im already walking 3-4 miles a day and swimming. I'm completely off all meds including tylenol.  Still cant bend, lift, or twist for another 6 weeks so the spine has time to start fusing.  Hoping to be off all restrictions in another 6-8 weeks hopefully riding bikes and enjoying life again.  Hope this helps anybody who has had the surgery or is contemplating getting the surgery done.  I know everyone's road to recovery will be different but just stay the course follow your doctors orders and that road whether long or short will come. 

Good luck to all!!

Here's to hopefully many more years of Spinal Heath Bliss!!  (-:

Cheers

Brian

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,464

Brian

Thank you so much for posting your recovery progress. We have had members in the past want to hear more stores like yours. I would like to bookmark your post to be able to pass it on to help others. 

I am so glad you are recovering this well, just remember, time and patience, to do it right. And it sounds like you are on your way. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sandra

• Definitely!! I’ll post an update in 3-4 weeks (-:

• advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.