advertisement
advertisement

July, 2020 Surgery Buddies

Post here if you are having surgery in July, 2020.

advertisement

Comments

• I'm having a L4-S1 double fusion the second week in July.

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,554

misanthrope

Welcome to Surgery Buddies!! Please tell us your story of how you got to the point of having to have surgery. Below are some articles for you to read that may be of interest.

How to Prepare Psychologically for Back Surgery,
    How to Prep Your Home for Spine Surgery Recovery Video

Hope to hear from you soon
    Sandra
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• Hey there,

What day is your surgery, Misanthrope?

I am having low back surgery (fusion and laminectomy for L3/L4) on July 13th.  I was supposed to have both neck revision surgery (for non fusion and bone spur) and low back surgery  in another county, scheduled one day apart but our governor cancelled elective surgeries for those more populated counties.  The local surgeon wants me to wait 3 months between surgeries.  I had to pick which one was more pressing.

• I am scheduled for a July 24th surgery. ALIF and PLIF L4 to S1. I have DDD, Spinal Stenosis and Osteopenia. I also need to watch my grandkids every now and then. I hope I recover quickly and that I fuse. Good luck and prayers to everyone else  having surgery this month. 

• advertisement

sitsalot

Welcome to Surgery Buddies!! Below are a couple of articles that may be of help.

How to Prep Your Home for Spine Surgery Recovery,
    Practical Advice for Recovering from Back Surgery 

Sandra

• Sitsalot and Misanthrope,

I wish you the best of luck, a skilled surgeon, great pain control, a speedy recovery, and pleasant nurses. 

Are you nervous that your hospital might close due to COVID?

And, do you really need a toilet riser for low back surgery???

Sitsalot, I was diagnosed with osteopenia after a fall at the end of January resulted in 2 compression fractures (T3 and T12).  That is when my low back pain started, but I think my back was an accident waiting to happen.  I have bone spurs, a cyst, and an enlarged ligament that likely was there prior to my fall.  But they think the fall resulted in the bulging disc pressing the canal from the front, which compressed everything to a point of pain, numbness, and muscle weakness.  I have a congenitally narrow spinal canal, so I do not have a lot of "cushion" in my spine.  Because the spinal stenosis is severe, they will be doing a laminectomy with a posterolateral fusion.  I had a 3-level ACDF in 2018 that did not fuse at the lowest level.  I was pain free and back up to normal until 11 months post-op.  I have a small bone spur at the lowest level.  So, when I am healed enough from this low back surgery, I will be doing an ACDF revision.  Since your doc is doing a PLIF and ALIF, will you have a plate on the front of your vertebra as well as rods in the back?

• Hi I am having C5-6 & C6-7 Fusions on the 23rd or 30th. I have previously had Fusions at L5 S1 in 1987, L4-5 in 1997 and L2-3 L3-4 in 2016. This will be the first Neck Fusion so I'm not sure what to expect as far as recovery and how long I will be in hospital I live about 100 km from the hospital so the drive home might be a bit uncomfortable. 

• I have had both lumbar fusion and cervical fusion, for me the cervical was a much easier surgery, I was in the hospital 1 night and recovery went very well.

Good luck

Chip

• jenny.correajjenny.correa Great Falls, MTPosts: 10

Hello Everyone,

It looks like I will be having a PLIF for L4-L5 on July 27th or Aug 3rd.  I have a herniated disc at L4-L5, Anterolisthesis (shifting of the spine) of L4-L5, and Facet Arthropathy in the lower lumbar region.  I had a micro-discectomy 3 yrs ago and I did great until the last 6 months.  I’ve had countless injections, PT, Chiro and massage.  The pain is the reason why I have to get it fixed.

I’ve previously had C6-C7 fused so I can answer any questions if you guys are having that done.

I look forward to visiting with y’all,

Jen

• Jen

Welcome to surgery buddies, I had L4-L5 fusion surgery in 2015 and it went well, the lumbar fusion is a completely different animal than the cervical so be prepared to give it time to heal, I went back to work at 4 weeks after that surgery and it was too soon, the main thing is to listen to your body.

Take care

Chip

Below are a few article that may be helpful.

Types of Spinal FusionPostoperative Care for Spinal Fusion Surgery, and tips to help Maximize the Ability to Heal After Spine Fusion Surgery. It’s a great resource for anyone considering spinal fusion. I hope you find it helpful.

Sandra

• Hi Just received confirmation that I will be having surgery on 30th so only a couple of weeks now I'm starting to have a lot of pain in my left elbow now so hopefully this will go away once I have had surgery

Mark

We are all hoping this surgery will solve the problem. Hang in there, it will be over with soon. 

Kand 
    Your surgery was the 13th. I hope you are doing well, let us know when you feel better.

misanthrope
    Have you had your surgery yet? Keep us posted on how you are doing.
    Sandra

• Good luck on your upcoming ACDF Mark.

I had ACDF a few years back and it's not a bad recovery at all. You should be able to go home in a day or two. Here if you have any questions about surgery or post op as well. 

Hang in there, you'll be fine, here for you.

Missy.

• Kand,

Hope your surgery the other day was a huge success!! Post an update when you're up to it.

Missy.

• jenny.correajjenny.correa Great Falls, MTPosts: 10

Thank you Sandra & Chip! My surgery is set for 3 August.

Jen

• Thank you Sandra, Missy. And Chip for the well wishes!  I pray for successful surgeries and well controlled pain for those of you having upcoming surgeries.

Lumbar IS a different animal than ACDF.  I did not have a PLIF, though mine was a posterior approach for laminectomy, microdiscotomy, foraminotomy, posterolateral fusion and instrumentation of L3/L4.

My husband was not allowed to stay.  While nurses did their best, there really was no additional support to cover the things that your spouse might have normally done.  For instance, I called for someone to move trash can close, but no one came.  So I had to vomit in the cover of my breakfast plate and sit in that for 45 min.

I had 2 really bad situations in the hospital that would not have happened with an advocate there.  One may have caused some permanent damage.  I should find out tomorrow.

I came home with a catheter again.  I hope to get it removed tomorrow.  I started running a fever the night I came home (Wed).  Originally, it was up and down from 100.4 to 102.2.  Now, it goes up and down from normal to 100.1, which most do not consider a fever.  I had a telemedicine visit today with my primary.  He is concerned that this is another UTI.  I will get that checked out tomorrow.

Honest truth is that It has been rough.  I am still using walker.  But, if each day is a step forward, then I will get there.  Slow and steady wins the race.  But, I would say it was harder than ACDF.

Kand

Glad you made it through surgery. But I'm so sorry you had problems in the hospital. Lumbar surgery is different, takes a lot of time and patience for a good recovery. I hope you get the fever under control, no matter how low, to me, it's still fever. Take it easy and take care.
    Sandra

• Kand

Lumbar fusion is totally different that ACDF as you are finding out, but you will get there, it takes time for everything to settle down, but it will, it took about 4 weeks for me to get to the point of the pain not being pretty bad. Slow and steady wins the race.

Take care

Chip

• Hi Kand,

Thanks for the update, Just make sure you really take it easy and be kind to yourself.

If there is anyone that can help you out a bit don't hesitate to ask them for help once in a while.

Here's to hoping your recovery gets easier with each passing day.

Hugs,

Missy.

• Hi everyone thanks for your comments, I had my pre admission appointment on Friday. I saw a couple of doctors, pharmacist and a nurse.

One doctor said that they take the breathing tube out before I got to recovery and the other said they leave it in overnight in case of swelling I'm hoping it gets taken out before I go to recovery. 

Only a couple of days to go now so getting a little nervous mainly in regards to the breathing tube, they said I will be in hospital for 3 to 7 days.

Mark1962

Good luck on Thursday!! I hope you have everything ready for when you go home and start recovering. The best thing you will have to have is time and patience. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
    Sandra

• I had alif and plif surgery on my l4 to S1 on July 17th. I had two discectomy surgeries last summer that temporarily fixed a herniated disc. I have a lot of scar tissue too from those two surgeries. My incisions look really good and some things are getting easier but it has been really hard. I cry every day. I have terrible nerve pain down my left leg and foot. I know all of my nerves and muscles and everything need to recover, but this has been so hard. I'm getting up and walking once an hour or so but other than that I'm in bed. I get really tired very easily and I've been listening to my body. I quit smoking too. I really want to do everything that I can to achieve a successful fusion. I have one more week with my boyfriend working from home before I'll be on my own. It has been so helpful to have him here for support. 

Phoenixsmom1

Welcome to July Surgery Buddies!! Lumbar surgery recovery is very hard. It takes a lot of time and patience and walking. I used a lot of ice packs after my surgery and even a heating pad. Keep taking it easy but also moving around. It also helps to read how other members are doing in their recoveries.

Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing.
    Sandra

• Phoenixsmom

You will get through this but it takes time, I have had 2 lumbar fusion surgeries and recovery is no joke, the first 3-4 weeks were the worst for me, after that things started getting much better.

One thing that helped me was to look for the little improvements every day.

Take care

Chip  

• Thank you for the responses. It really helps. My boyfriend is wonderful but I like to talk with others that have similar stories. I have been dressing myself the last several days minus my left sock. My nerve pain is horrible. I've been on a max dose of Lyrica for maybe four months and I feel like it's useless but I don't want to stop taking it especially until I speak with my Dr. I know that my nerve pain can be so bad that maybe it is helping but it can only do so much. I'm getting up and walking quite a bit, and trying not to forget to put my brace on. I can't wait for my staples in my stomach come out, thank goodness he glued my back closed. I'm also hesitant to mention this but I know that it is common. I have really bad constipation. My Dr gave me a stool softener and I was already prescribed linzess. I know that I would be in less pain if I could just go. I still need help in and out of the shower but I don't need any other help with shower stuff for the last few days. I'm pretty wobbly when I am stepping in and out. Thank goodness for my shower chair! I am looking forward to less leg pain. I want to rip my big toe off! The nerve pain is really bad. I have some weakness in both legs but mainly my left. I've had leg pain from herniated discs for so long that I'm really worried that it is permanent. Every day something gets a bit easier and I am focusing on that as much as I can. I still cry everyday. I think that almost every day since I came home from the hospital I am watching the clock a lot for that last hour so I can take my meds. The relief seems to only last for three hours or less and that is really hard. It's not all the time though so I don't really want to ask for different meds.

• Talk to your doctor about possibly changing you to something else for the nerve pain because there are other options out there, I tried Lyrica and it didn't help, it also made me feel terrible, changed to Gabapentin and felt much better, we are all different when it comes to medications.

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

I agree with Chip, talk to your doctor, especially if you are in that much pain. I also take Gabapentin and it does helps. Have you tried ice packs? Sometimes that will help cool things down.

Let us know what you find out.
    Sandra

• Hi everyone, I had my surgery on Thursday and all went well, I was able to watch my football team (Aussie Rules Port Adelaide)  have a good win on TV that night which was a bonus. I was out of hospital on Saturday which was a day earlier than they said I would be.

The main issues I'm having is pain in my shoulders and feeling like someone has their hands around my throat hopefully that will ease off soon.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.