advertisement
advertisement
The Veritas Health Forum is moving! On September 30, 2020, this Forum will no longer be available. Please read important information about the changes here.

Has anyone had respiratory depression due to medications

Has anyone had respiratory depression due to medications, My doctor wants to take me off some medications and of course they are opiates. I am currently on Norco, gabapentin, tizanadean , clonazepam, Zoloft and a couple others. Has anyone ever been through this and how tough was it. Take care and God bless

advertisement

Comments

• I'm currently weaning off clonazepam, my GP and I are doing it over the course of a year or more. I quit taking clonazepam all of a sudden one time because I lost my insurance, and it was one of the most unpleasant experiences in my life. I was taking a phlebotomy class at the time and I was so sweaty and shaky that nobody wanted to let me near them, lol. Anyway, benzodiazepines are highly addictive. I had no idea then, but  I sure do now. If you're coming off clonazepam, do it with your doctor's input. I was only taking 2 milligrams, one in the AM and one in the PM. I now take a quarter milligram in the morning and 0.5mg at night. I worked my way down to 1/4 and 1/2 over a period of at LEAST nine months, without serious side effects. I'm having surgery on the 19th and my doc and I (mostly my idea) decided not to drop down for six weeks at least. Anyway, that's my two cents on benzos. I have no experience with coming of the other meds you mention, sorry. Good luck, Mike

Mike

• MikethepikeMMikethepike MIchiganPosts: 491

I take .25 mg three times a day, did you take any other medication to replace it. I’ve been on it three years, how long were you on it? Thanks for the Input.

• advertisement
  • About five years, I think. I did not replace it with anything, but I did see a psychologist as often as I could and that helped some. I take a handful of antidepressants and I think they helped some too, but I've been taking antidepressants since 1997. I take Zoloft, Wellbutrin, and Abilify. Zoloft and Wellbutrin since '97 with Abilify added in 2009 (after my triple bypass...my head was a mess.) The Abilify was like magic for me, within two weeks I felt "normal". I use that term loosely. 

Mike

Sign In or Join Us to comment.