advertisement
advertisement

ACDF C4-C6 Now ASD C3-C4

I am 61yo and became a cyclist after two hip replacements ended my running career. Aside from tingling hands while cycling I had no symptoms until May 2019. Out of the blue my left trapezius started spasming and it told me to go doctor now!

Eventually that led to an MRI which showed foraminal stenosis C4-C6. I had ACDF surgery 8/13/19. In May 2020 I began to have neck pain, shooting pain from my shoulders down to my forearms, helmet headaches and muscle weakness. 

This all started 2-weeks before my 9-mo post ACDF checkup. I made a list of symptoms to present to my OS. He thought it might be my shoulders but ordered a cervical MRI to rule out my spine.

Well, it was my spine. He used non-medical language and said my nerve root C3-C4 was being 'Crushed ' especially on the right side. However, the left side also had foraminal stenosis.

I am scheduled for another ACDF + Revision on 6/29. The revision has to do with attaching a new multilevel plate.

The OS said he was astonished my adjacent segment deteriorated so rapidly. 

Has something like this happened to anyone else? 

Disclaimer: I was a runner, a cross country and downhill skier and thoroughly abused my body when I was younger. I have lots of osteoarthritis.

advertisement

Comments

• Welcome dougie0216 we’re glad you’re here!

Sorry you are dealing with this, ASD does seem to be fairly common, I had ACDF C4-C6 a little over 3 years ago and am starting to have issues again, can't get an MRI right now because of the virus, I also had to have a revision surgery on a lumbar fusion for the same reason 1 year after.

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

Have you visited the Spinal Stenosis Health Center on Spine-health? It has a wide range of informative articles and videos about the causes, symptoms, and treatment options for spinal stenosis. It’s a valuable resource for anyone seeking more information about the condition.

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.

Chip 

Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,476

dougie0216

We would like to invite you to join June Surgery Buddies, below is the link. Members there have ongoing conversations about their upcoming surgery and then recovery, sharing their experiences with each other. Click on the link and introduce yourself.

https://forum.veritashealth.com/discussion/112452/treatment/surgery-buddies-forum/june-2020-surgery-buddies#latest

Hope to see you there.
    Sandra
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• advertisement
  • Thank you Sandra & Chip. I visited spine-health before my last acdf. My OS recommended it as a good resource. I read all the sections and watched all the videos, multiple times, lol. 

I did read the terms and conditions. I have been on other online forums, most notably BoneSmart Hip Replacement Forum. I'm a double hippy. 

I'm very comfortable in an online environment. My M. Ed. is in Adult Education and Distance Learning. 

I am very happy this forum exists..

dougie0216

We are so glad you decided to visit us again. And not just for your benefit. Every time you post the experiences you have gone through with your hips or spine, other members are gaining information. So, thank you.
    Sandra

• Sandra, thanks for the welcome. 

It is one-something in the a.m. and I am in the recliner hoping sleep will happen at some point. I have this nerve pain going down my arm that makes sleep difficult.

My last day of work prior to surgery is today. I get the call giving me a Monday surgery time this afternoon. I hope it is earlier than 2:30 pm as it was for my acdf last year!

How come you can't eat or drink after midnight whether your surgery is at 6am or 2:30pm? If it is an afternoon surgery again, I may say midnight is at 4 or 5 am.

I was so hungry and thirsty by 2:30 pm last year I swore I would not do that again.

• advertisement

I had surgery in the afternoon, around 3:00, and was told not to eat or drink 12 hrs. before. The anesthetic will make some people sick and they want you throwing up in surgery. I still drank water, little sips, right up to that time. I had to, I have a very dry mouth.

Good luck Monday, I hope your surgery and recovery goes well. Please keep everyone posted in Surgery Buddies. 
    Sandra

• I understand the reason why they want us to abstain from food and drink. I just thought 14.5 hours of abstinence was a bit too much.

Oh, and I will be posting. Recovery is easier when you share your experiences. I also think I have a lot to say when on opioids bwahahaha.

• I'm guessing they have me flagged in the computer: assign this guy a 2:30 pm surgery time. He could stand to lose 5 or 10#. I begin check in at 1pm on Monday.

Post your recovery in Surgery Buddies, please. When a new member comes on the forum looking for information, I always send them there to read. I hope you take this weekend to relax, maybe do something for yourself. You deserve it!!
    Sandra

• Sandra, I will. We had comfort food for dinner and I ate a brownie the size of a small plate :D

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.