advertisement
advertisement
The Veritas Health Forum is moving! On September 30, 2020, this Forum will no longer be available. Please read important information about the changes here.

Duloxetine for back pain?

I have had severe back pain for 5/6 years now, have had various injections and spine surgery but no relief and slowly over the past year been trying various pain killing medication, still no relief and the GP has now put me on Duloxetine 60mg which he says is the last option he can offer.

Has anyone tried this for pain relief and did it help?

advertisement

Comments

• Cymbalta I was on that for awhile but it interferes with another medication I was on and some side effects that didn’t go away like after a few weeks. 

I’ve tried lots of meds so guess you’re Dr. Trying this one. 

Is this your Pain management Dr? I had several pain Drs but the only one that helped was a large pain Center in a hospital. Referral from GP. Have to wait a long time to get in but for chronic pain is worth it.

• Thanks for your reply, much appreciated, this is my local GP who is trying these different medications.

I have been to 2 different pain management clinics over the years but neither helped unfortunately.

If Duloxetine does not help i will be at the end of the road as the GP has nothing else left to try!! I will just have to live with it.

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,713

painfulwalker

Duloxetine is generic for Cymbalta, which is used to treat nerve pain. I hope this helps you.
    Sandra

• Five days of Duloxetine 600mg, think there might be a slight improvement in my back pain or it could be one of my better pain days, hoping anyway.

Not so keen on the side effects muzzy head, stomach pain, restlessness, sweating, trembling or shaking, dizziness.

• Yes I had side effects. Just let your Dr know as you can get Dr appointment over the phone right? 

• advertisement
  • Just spoken to my GP as I now have severe stomach cramps and had no sleep last night whatsoever, suggest I try to keep going and use Buscopan Cramps for the pain, will give that a try.

• Do you eat when you take cymbalta? I hope it helps pain and nerve pain for you. 

I take buscopan as well but for IBS. 

• I did for the first couple of days but due to the side effects switched to just before bedtime in hopes it might help, perhaps i need to switch back to breakfast time.

• 5 weeks in, might be slight improvement in the pain, but the side effects of theses pills are awful, messed up stomach, hot sweats and feel so anxious and irritable.

So I am coming off them SLOWLY, rather be as I was and just cope with the pain than feeling so bad all the time.

• Well maybe there’s another med for you. My Dr had me on amitriptyline for nerve pain at first and then a small dose of pregablin or lyrica so I hope you find a good hospital Pain Centre. I looked one up in my city and my GP referred me. It’s a long waiting list but so worth it. Never give up hope if you have chronic pain.

• Hi Charry, thanks for your reply, unfortunately I have now gone through all the GP can suggest, including pregabalin, gabapentin and amitriptylin all with no sucess!

• My third PM Dr. was the answer for me at a large hospital. They can do the pain meds and injections etc. 

I found a famous pain Center at a hospital online in my city and my Dr. referred me although my GP still gives my meds the PM Dr. approves it so the GP won’t be solely responsible for those kind of meds. 

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.