advertisement
advertisement

22 Months POST-Micro D for Fragment Removal in L4/5 - Success Story Turned Upside Down

Hello All. Not new to the forum here, but have been absent, sporadic since my surgery in August 2018. 

My story was one of determination and success. I took my recovery very serious by maintaining a healthy weight, doing my post-surgery exercises religiously, maintaining a strong core and otherwise keeping fit in a safe fashion by doing body weight-only exercises. The only thing which changed recently was that I pushed my 3.5 mile daily walks to 5.5 miles. I was a model of health, and was living a pain free life. 

That ended last week when a dull pain began to develop in my outer left hip (side of surgery). After a few days the pain migrated into my outer calf (so basically following the L4/5 path). The pain if manageable through the waking hours, but becomes pretty lousy at night, and of course when I lay down for sleep. Presently I am not feeling the pins and needles and electo current, just dull, nasty pain.

Over the last year I did start to notice that when I was doing bridges for core development, my calf and hamstring would sometimes spasm until I released the bridge hold. This feeling was never present during long walks or anytime else, but now I wonder if there is some connection between that and my current issue.

Right now the pain responds well to walking, so I'm not living in the hell I was in 2 years ago, but my question to the forum is this?.....if I am having problems with the same level that I was operated on, what does that mean for me in terms of getting healed from my current issue? I never wish to go under the knife again, and I could tolerate and live well enough with flare-ups, but I'm just not sure what to expect moving forward.

If this continues for another 3 weeks I will seek and MRI, but was wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom from experience.

Thank you

Andy

advertisement

Comments

• I have had similar experiences in the past that were caused by inflammation with no real explanation of what caused it, luckily a course of prednisone or an injection have cleared it up for me.

Chip

• Hi Chip. Thanks for responding

• advertisement
  • I have managed to eliminate the pain by staying active, taking devil's claw (not sure if it contributed) and stretching.  BUT, the nerve sensations (not pain) remain. Is this normal to be most pain free for two weeks and still have the weird buzzy feelings periodically throughout the day?

• Androo

I still get weird sensations from the nerves on the left side, my last lumbar surgery was in 2016, I asked the surgeon about it and he shook his head and said that's normal. If it were me and this keeps on happening I would talk to my doctor about it since you haven't been having any issues since surgery.

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

• Thanks, Chip. I'll follow your advice.

• advertisement
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.