advertisement
advertisement

Chronic Pain Patient

Hello,

I have been in pain management for over eight years.  Moved from NJ to SC and was lucky enough to find a pain management doctor to continue my treatment.  Had my third set of MRIs (since it’s been a few years) .  I won’t go into details, but focusing on cervical spine, I have issues at every level, arthritis, herniations, bulges, bone spurs, spinal narrowing. Nerve impingement .   My pain doctor ordered the MRIs to take a look before doing additional injections or see if I was a candidate for surgery.  Well got back from surgeon and was told I am not a candidate.   He recognized all my areas and the pain, but stated I would require a total fusion of entire cervical spine and I would probably still have pain.   It would help with nerve impingement but I still have strength in arms and hands., so that is 5 years off.     I didn’t want surgery but I guess I am disappointed there is not a surgery to stop this agonizing pain.   I have the same issues in lumbar and thoracic.   The surgeon recommended continued pain management.   At least  I am validated, but my pain is so bad.   

Just venting and wondering if anyone deals with the same.  

Thank you

Kelz 

advertisement

Comments

• Hi there and welcome to you!!

From one chronic pain patient to another I'm sorry that you aren't a candidate for surgery.

But even after cervical fusion surgery, although it kept me from being paralyzed, and improved my arm strength and function I am still in intractable pain.

Happy that you have a good Dr. that validates you and has continued to rx your pain medication though. 

I had to fight like hell to stay on my much needed pain medication, and I know of many more that were cut off completely.

Here if you need anything, even if it's just to vent.

Take care,

Missy.

• Thank you Missy for the reply.   I am grateful for the pain management .  It is terrible that people get cut off from much needed medication.  

• advertisement
  • islandstylistislandstylist Posts: 61
    edited 07/16/2020 - 8:28 PM

Hi Kelz,

I know right? Something should have been put in place protecting us CPP'S from anything. The war on chronic pain patients is wrong. It is not right to equate legitimate pain patients with drug addicts. 

We have been convicted and sentenced to a reduced quality of life, though the choice and consequences of others.

I'm sorry you are suffering Kelz, but I am glad to have you here on the forum, it's a really nice place to come where others actually really get what you're going through.

Take care my friend,

Missy.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,554

Kelz

I can totally relate to what you are going through. I had surgery 11 yrs. ago for L1-L6 herniated disc. 5 yrs. ago, I developed scoliosis and the disc from L1-L6 herniated again. The only thing that is holding me together is 2 rods, cages and 8 large screws. I am not a candidate for surgery because of my age and health condition. At the time, I weighed 115 lbs. and was 5'3". Now, I weigh 83 lbs. and am 4'11".

The pain meds I was on were not helping. My PM doctor suggested a pain pump. I had the implant 3 yrs. ago filled with morphine. I'm still in pain but not like I was, I can live with this, I have to. So to answer your question, I deal with this too. You have to learn how to cope with chronic pain. I do not take any other pain meds or anything for depression and anxiety. I saw a pain psychologist who changed my way of thinking so I don't get so depressed. But this forum has helped me more than anything. Just being able to know that someone else is going through the same thing helps.

Sandra
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• Sandra, 

Thank you for your response.  I have been on this forum a few years and followed your story and others on the pain pump.  I think this is ultimately where I will end up and so grateful to read about your story,  confirmation from a surgeon that surgery will not stop my pain but complete acknowledgement from my PM and surgeon that I have pain and that pain management is my solution.   I am currently on 20 mg of OxyContin twice a day and 10/325 Percocet three times a day that keeps me at an average of level 6 pain level.  I am at at 4 about 3-4 hours a day - so that’s good,  but I am always then escalating up,   The. Recent MRI was to see if I needed surgery or on the other hand confirm increasing meds or maybe to your point look at a pain pump.  Since this is the third surgeon to say surgery is a NO but I’m in pain, I will discuss the pain med increase or the pain pump on my next visit.   I have not been active posting but I have been reading all of the journeys you have all been on the past few years and you all keep me going!!  Thank you so much, and I’ll update you on my condition and treatment,  thank you all so much kelz 

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,554

Kelz

It is good to know this forum has been a help to you. It sounds like you have really done your research, which is so important when making these kind of decisions. I wish you the best of luck and yes, please keep us posted.

Sandra

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.