advertisement
advertisement
The Veritas Health Forum is moving! On September 30, 2020, this Forum will no longer be available. Please read important information about the changes here.

Facing Long Fusion and Degenerative Scoliosis Repair T4-S1

Comments

• Yes - if you can send a friend to get you a new toilet seat (and the post-op additional-height raised seat that will fit onto the main seat), that will be one thing off your mind! And maybe that same friend can work on moving some things in your place to waist height. Mind you, the last thing you need right now is to feel pressure to be "perfectly" set up (in quotes for obvious reasons!). You'll be in the hospital long enough for a friend or two to get your house ready for your return - maybe they could put the bed rail on (or at least assemble it, if it isn't pre-assembled), too. 

I also just remembered that another thing I hadn't pre-planned for was getting all of my clothes someplace within easy reach - so my sister emptied out the big middle dresser drawer and arranged all of my things so that I could easily get to them from a seated position on the bed. Since the rule of thumb post-op is no BLT (no bending, lifting, twisting) it does limit you to basically only being able to reach forward from waist height to retrieve something. 

This is the time to ask for and accept help - that is exactly what friends are for, yes!  Frozen food, delivered food - all good. Consider a little sling bag for your phone and other necessities so that you can cruise around on your walker without having to hold anything (you might already have such a bag, of course). And I think I mentioned this in a previous post, but having a walker with a tray or some kind of water-bottle attachment/holder is good, too, so that you can carry your water around and stay hydrated. 

If I think of anything else, I'll post again! And if you think of more questions, I'll be checking the Forum over the weekend in case I can answer them. 

-Chrissy 

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,697

Catherine

Below is a video on how to prep your home. I did not know if you had seen it. Wishing you the best of luck Mon. and we hope to hear from you during your recovery.

Sandra

• advertisement
  • bookcatbbookcat United States Posts: 22

Thanks, Sandra. I can't find the video though. Will you resend the link? Much appreciated.

I absolutely do plan to post on spine-health when coherent enough. You have all been great sources of info and support. It makes such a positive difference!

Catherine

• Hi, Catherine - I don't know if this is the same video that Catherine sent you, but it's a good one: https://www.spine-health.com/video/how-prep-your-home-spine-surgery-recovery-video. Hope that helps!

-Chrissy

• bookcatbbookcat United States Posts: 22

MorningGirl, the video is great and nothing too burdensome. I am now faced with needing to send packages but not being able to leave the house! Tested for COVID-19 yesterday so can't risk exposure over the weekend. Sent up email flare. I feel ridiculous but so it is. Next phase is paperwork for the hospital and the beginning of packing.

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,697

Thanks Chrissy for sending the video to Catherine!!
    Sandra

• No problem, Sandra! I just happened to check in on the Forum and saw that the link wasn't there, and I guessed it was the Spine-Health video...so sent it along. Cheers-

Chrissy 

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.