advertisement
advertisement

Delaying Surgery

Hi I'm 66 yrs old male, now facing the facts that my spondylolisthesis of L4/L5 is here to stay. It has been progressive I had my first MRI 10 years ago. I'm at the point now where walking quickly brings on burning/numbness throughout my glutes  down to my feet. My feet  are always partially numb. I'm reaching out for feedback as to what others have done in the similar condition that I find myself in. Thanks to all.

advertisement

Comments

• My rule of thumb for surgery is this, when it affects my life every day and basically becomes unliveable, it's time for surgery, but only you and your doctor can decide when the time is right for you.

Chip

• Agreed with Chip.  Work closely with a good ortho or neurosurgeon to determine best course of action for you.  

Same stressful crossroad I was on 12 weeks ago.  Left leg went so numb that I started falling to the ground.  The sciatica down both legs became unbearable.  Tried everything for about 10 months prior to surgery (injections, PT) and  nothing helped.  Condition progressively worsened to the point I couldn’t walk at all.   Scary stuff!  I’m blessed to have a great neurosurgeon.

I have my 12 week post-op review with surgeon tomorrow!!  I went into the hospital in a wheelchair, and 12 weeks later I’m up to walking 4 miles per day.  I’m in a much better place physically and mentally, thank goodness.

Wishing you the very best of luck!  Keep us posted on your progress.

JT

• advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.