advertisement
advertisement
The Veritas Health Forum is moving! On September 30, 2020, this Forum will no longer be available. Please read important information about the changes here.

Injured back from Physical Therapy - help!

Overdid P/T at the 6 week mark after Total knee replacement surgery! All was going great, but they added 30 leg presses on the Leg Press machine, as well as step ups, 20 front and 20 sideways, and standing balancing on new knee ( leg) for 10 reps, 10 seconds each. In addition to biking a mile and numerous other exercises I had been doing.  

Since my last visit on Wednesday, I started to have severe pain top of thighs and hips, getting progressivy worse each day. Today I cannot walk without a walker! The pain has gone to the middle of my butt on my left side and top of back of left side and now in lower back. I can barely move

it feels stabbing and every step is excruciating. It is Saturday, and there are no physicians open. It took me 5 minutes to walk 15 steps to the bathroom and back and pain level about an 8. ( 9 

In addition my husband is having surgery on Tuesday to have Spinal fusion so I will be taking care of him and need to be able to walk!
there any advise as to what may have caused this - I assume it was the additional exercises they had me do .
I am going to need to find a Dr. tomorrow. I feel it could be anything from a pinched nerve, to pulled muscle and my fear is a slipped disc which I never had before.I just do not know who to call. Has anyone had anything similar? I know my Primary care Dr. is not someone I would call as I do not feel too confident in him and he would just need to refer me anyway.I have Psoriatric Arthritis, but do not think my Rheumy would have the ability to do much- they do not even have an X-ray machine at his office.

i am happy to say we achieved all I needed to at PT. I was very proud of myself as I like to think I persevered with my PT like a champ. But now am paying the price!(edit)
advertisement

Comments

• charryccharry Posts: 266
    edited 07/19/2020 - 11:10 PM

If it were me I would call hospital and ask to speak to surgeon on call if it’s the knee but rather get to Emerg where you got the knee replacement. They have X-ray at hospital.  

Especially if you feel you threw your back out or have any numbness in foot or anything. Get homecare for your husband as obviously you’re not well yourself. 

• Thank you Cherry, I was able to get in today! 

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,713

Welcome Honey001 to the Veritas Health Forum

If it were me, I would call the surgeon that did your surgery and ask to be seen by him. If not, you may have to go to the ER and get checked out if you can't find anyone else.

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

You can also find information on Spine-health.comArthritis-health.comSports-health.comPain-health.com. All articles are authored by expert health professionals and reviewed by our experienced editorial team. This rigorous editorial process is modeled after that of a medical journal and ensures all of the articles are accurate, comprehensive, and unbiased. I hope you find this information helpful.

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.
    Sandra
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• Welcome Honey001 we’re glad you’re here!

Glad you were able to be seen today, let us know what they find.

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

Here’s a great article about back pain on Spine-health that you might want to check out: Back Pain Overview: A Guide for Understanding Back Pain. The article outlines common lower back pain causes, symptoms, and treatments. It’s a very comprehensive article. I hope you find this information helpful.

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.

Chip 

Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• Thank you I will read these articles.

I was able to see a Orthapedic Dr. today who is incidentally doing my husbands spinal fusion tomorrow!

My poor husband had to go here today too for pre-op and ended up bringing me out after appt pushing a wheel chair with me in it! Poor guy,

But Poor me! I have a pinched nerve from arthritis causing L4 and L5 being pushed out enough to press on nerve.

It is excruciating and I have been in pain and can barely walk for 6 days now.

Given steroid shot and Prednisone pack and told to call back in A week if not better and they would do an MRI.

Worried it will not get better and wanted to see if anyone had ideas of how they recovered. Dr. Said this is one of most typical areas of issues from arthritis. I have Psoriatric Arthritis and know my back is getting worse, but I was just called back to work after furlough of 14 weeks, knee replacement surgery in May, and now will need to take care of husband having his back surgery tomorrow so I am a bit panicked and hoping for positive thoughts and ideas!

• advertisement
  • I have RA also and my spine is full of arthritis, the prednisone pack usually helps me as much as anything, take it as easy as possible and give the shot and prednisone time to work. Tell your husband good luck with his surgery and to take his recovery seriously.

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

• Thank you Chip! Will do!

• Ok, day 9. 

Wondering if I need to go to ER. 

Brief recap- Had Knee replacement 7 weeks ago, have Psoriatric and Osteoarthritis.

Made great progress at PT after surgery- till I hurt myself doing extensive strength training excercises tympani last week.

Since then, xrays show I have a pinched nerve at the lowest part of spine.

I can barely walk - stabbing pain in back, upper thigh. Not better dice given steroid injection and steroid pack.

I also can barely make it to toilet and had several accidents.

This weekend I am caring for husband who came home yesterday after Spinal fusion surgery. ( yes we are this lucky)

We are both in excruciating pain and using walkers.

My question, other than getting an MRI , should 8 go to the ER?

Not ant better, and the Dr. ordered MRI but 8 cannot get it till Thursday.

I am on 5mg of OxyContin 2x a day from my Dr. but they will not try anything else and that really does not tough it.

I also start back to work on Monday after a 15 week furloug.

I tried calling my back Dr. but no help offered.

Frustrated and in pain for so long. I was hoping they could give me something different for nerve pain or gosh I do not know what.

Any suggestions?

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,713

Honey001

I am so sorry! I know how you feel, nerve pain to me is the worse. If you go to the ER, they are probably not going to do anything. But you may not have a choice since you've already had an injection and a steroid pack. When you called your doctor, he didn't have any suggestions? 

Keep us posted.
    Sandra

• Honey007 - My heart goes out to you as I know how excruciating your pain can be.  Is it possible for you to hire someone to come in and assist you and your husband?  Recovering from any type of back pain can be a long, frustrating road.  Please keep us posted.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.