advertisement
advertisement

Husband in agony 1st day Post-Op Fusion

Husband recovering from spinal fusion yesterday. Not allowed visitors. Surgery went well, did have small tear that they stitched up having to do with spinal fluid- Dursa tear I believe. Because of this he was strapped flat for 24 hrs.
He was doing well but now in excruciating pain on a scale of 1-10 he said it is 12.He was given 10 mg of Oxycontin 4 hrs ago and he said that his back is completely locked up so they gave him a valium Valium and Tylenol 30 minutes ago.
He never has taken pain pills in the past but knows he needs to stay on top of it. Is there anything they can give him that would last longer so he can stay on top of the pain as it appears it is either not lasting long enough or not a high enough dosage.
i hate I cannot be there for him.
He does not have ice on his back as he said the bandages are so thick it probably would not help.
Thank you for any suggestions!
advertisement

Comments

• There really is no other way of saying this, but the first 48 hours after fusion surgery is bad, I was on IV pain medication for the first 48 hours and had a button that I could use every 20 minutes to give myself meds. I was switched to oral medication on the 3rd day. Tell him to hang in there, it does get better, when he is able to get up and walk a little he will lossen up some, even though those first steps will be rough.

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,564

Chip is right, it will take time and walk as soon as he can. That will loosen up the muscles and get everything moving again. And stay on top of his meds, take them as prescribed, so the pain does not get out of control. Like Chip, after my third day, it got easier.

Tell him to take care, time and patience.
    Sandra

• advertisement
  • Thank you!

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,564

Honey001

How is your husband doing?

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.