advertisement
advertisement
The Veritas Health Forum is moving! On September 30, 2020, this Forum will no longer be available. Please read important information about the changes here.

Herniated disc

Hi everyone, im 24 ive been suffering with a herniated disc L5/S1 can just about walk to the bathroom and back to bed. The worst pain i have is the sciatica down my right leg its the worst pain and has stopped me from my everyday life. Im waiting for a spinal injection has anyone had them as i really need some hope now please, most forums never really say the positive outcomes so please someone tell me a happy ending ... 

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,730

Welcome shay123 to the forum!!

I have had several injections for the same reasons. Some have worked, some have not. You have to remember though, everyone is different. What may not work for me, may work for you. It also depends on the doctor, where and how he dos the injection and ho much steroids he injects. I always tell my doctor to fill it up, it seems to last longer.

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

Have you read the article What You Need to Know About Sciatica on Spine-health? It explains what causes sciatic nerve pain in great detail. It also provides sciatica treatment options to help relieve painful sciatica symptoms. It’s a very comprehensive article and a must-read for those with painful sciatica symptoms. I hope you find this information helpful.

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.
    Sandra
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• I have had many injections over the years, some have worked really well and lasted a long time before needing another, I have also had others that didn't work at all or got very little relief.

Doctors will also do injections in a series of 3 if needed at times, so if you don't get relief after the first there is still a possibility that a second or third will help.

Take care and keep us posted

Chip

• advertisement
  • Hi sandra and chip thank you for welcoming me.. With the injection did you have an epidural put in first and then the steroids on top? Ive just been trying to read a lot about them. Im in agony and my appoitment is taking a while but i really pray i get relief. Also the doctor said if the first injection doesnt work then its surgery 

Shay x

• The process my doctor uses is this, he puts you on the table and gets pictures of where he wants to inject, he then numbs the area and guides the needle in with the fluoroscope and does the injection, for me it's really not painful, it's more pressure than anything.

Chip

• Hopefully i dont find it painful either, to be honest anything compare to this pain will be a walk in the park. Did you have any side effects after as ive read some people have felt unwell etc i think maybe im just reading to much and over thinking 

• advertisement
  • I have never had any bad side effects from an injection and I have had more than I can count over the years.

I have had some numbness in my leg for a day or so, but to be honest that was a welcome side effect, and if I remember correctly 2 days was the longest that I had that.

I understand about sciatica and how painful it is, I have had it many times and still have flare up's from time to time.

Chip

My injections went pretty much like Chip's. I never had any side effects except my leg being numb. But that did not last long. If the first injection does not work, my doctor will do a series of 3. If it were me, before considering surgery, I would definitely get a second opinion.
    Sandra

• Yes numbness over pain for sure. Fingers crossed it helps. Thank you for letting me know your experiences
    Shay123
  • Yes il get a second opinion before surgery, i forgot to ask after injections were you able to resume back to normal life right away as i am in bed have been for the last how many weeks 

• The doctor always told me to take it easy for a couple of days after the injection, I tried to not do much of anything the day of and the day after the injection, after that it was business as usual.

Chip

• That sounds good, i will keep you updated when i get my first injection 

Shay x

• There saying i have to wait until september for the injection, i cant handle being like this for that long

• I am sorry that you will have to wait that long, is there something they can give you for the pain in the meantime.

Chip

• I am on pain meds but nothing is helping

• Hi guys just to update you i had my nerve block yesterday, i really didnt like the pressure feeling at all. My leg was numb for ages which i didnt mind and they let me go home late last night. Ive woke up with nerve pain still in my leg if not worse, do you think thats a good sign? That maybe the injection is working on the aggravated nerve so it feeling worse lets me know its been touched maybe? My backs achey and sore at the injection site and i feel a little drained. 

shay123

It might take a few days for the nerve to calm down. Injections are usually given in a series of 3. If the nerves are so inflamed, the first one may not work. Give it time but let your doctor know in a few days if you are not any better. Take it easy too. And when you do get some relief, don't overdo by starting to do things. We all have a habit of doing that.

Sandra

• My doctor said i only need the one and i have been discharged and he will see me for a follow up in 3 months, they said it may take up to 2 weeks to kick in but if not then i will contact them. Im resting in bed my body is aching especially my neck and shoulders for some reason. How many days was it until you started to feel relief? 

Shay x

I've had so many, they all acted different. I went to the doctor last Thurs. and he wanted to do another injection. But I told him I would rather have a medrol pack, they work better because they are stronger. So far it is helping but I m determined not to overdo anything.

I hope you feel better soon, just take it easy and let it work.
    Sandra

• I hope you get better and i guess you know what works best for your body. Il keep you updated if it does work for me or not. Il rest plenty. Thank you 

Shay x

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.