advertisement
advertisement
The Veritas Health Forum is moving! On September 30, 2020, this Forum will no longer be available. Please read important information about the changes here.

Consistent pain when lying down

Hi folks,

I'm trying to find some advice-guidance on this weird problem. It used to be laying down was about the most comfortable position for me; I'd spent entire weekends watching TV in bed, I even built an elaborate "bed desk" because laying was far more comfortable than sitting. About once or twice a year I might sleep "funny" and wake up with  sore neck for a couple of days, then it was back to normal.

About 8 months ago, this happened to me... and ever since I've been dealing with neck and shoulder aches every time I lay down. I've replaced the mattress(needed a new one anyway) and tried 4 different pillows, little to no improvement. I've started doing nightly stretches and that has helped, but it really only went from "can sleep for 4 hours" to "can sleep for 8 with interuptions and wake up very sore".

On the one hand, its nice because I'm suddenly way more productive in my free time, but the downside is I'm in almost constant mild pain either from the discomfort of sitting or lingering pain from sleeping. 

I kept hoping it would improve, but its not; and I can't easily go see my chiropractor due to the pandemic.

What else can I try?

advertisement

Comments

• Welcome hunterjwizard we’re glad you’re here!

If it were me, I would contact my doctor and get some diagnostic imaging to find the source of the pain, it may be nothing serious, but cervical issues can cause serious problems if not treated.

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

Have you visited the Neck Pain Health Center on Spine-health? It has a comprehensive list of neck pain articles you might find helpful, including Common Causes of Neck Pain, Home Remedies for Neck Pain and Dizziness, and How to Treat a Stiff Neck.  

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.

Chip 

Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• Thanks, I've been reading through different articles looking for ideas. Its helped some, doing stretches mostly. Was hoping maybe someone else had had something similar.

• advertisement
  • charryccharry Posts: 266
    edited 08/06/2020 - 7:58 PM

I have to use a small travel flat square pillow to sleep with as my neck is sore as well if I use any other pillow. My neck is curved back a bit so I have neck pain as well.

I side sleep with a pillow between my knees as well for even alignment works for me the best.

I only sleep 4 hours before I wake up too but it’s my lower back issues. Charry

Sign In or Join Us to comment.