advertisement
advertisement
The Veritas Health Forum is moving! On September 30, 2020, this Forum will no longer be available. Please read important information about the changes here.

Should I get a new MRI before 6 week Post-Op?

Figured I'd ask a question. My last MRI was done close to end of February. When I talked to my Neurosurgeon, he said I had until end of August to work off that MRI for a surgery before I'd need a new one. I have a post-op appoint for 6 weeks (more like 6 1/2 weeks) on September 16th to go over x-rays for the hardware. Should I schedule a quick appointment with him (likely virtual) or someone in the group to go over my issues with the adjacent segments above so I can get an new MRI before my post-op appointment to review it then at the 6 week mark or should I wait for the 6 week post-op appointment to bring it up? I hate waiting any longer than I should and think getting it all out of the way then would be great.Figured I'd ask a question. My last MRI was done close to end of February. When I talked to my Neurosurgeon, he said I had until end of August to work off that MRI for a surgery before I'd need a new one. I have a post-op appoint for 6 weeks (more like 6 1/2 weeks) on September 16th to go over x-rays for the hardware. Should I schedule a quick appointment with him (likely virtual) or someone in the group to go over my issues with the adjacent segments above so I can get an new MRI before my post-op appointment to review it then at the 6 week mark or should I wait for the 6 week post-op appointment to bring it up? I hate waiting any longer than I should and think getting it all out of the way then would be great.

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,711

luckyman316

I always say go with your gut feeling, do what you think is best for you. You have to be your own advocate, don't depend on them.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Sandra

• Thanks @memerainbolt yeah I have many people say to hold off on anything for a few months while I recover from this but others saying to listen to my body and do what I think is right. So lots of confusion and people think it's from the ACDF C5-7 that I am trying to get a MRI on that to still see what's wrong but it's not, lots of misunderstanding. My big concern here is that my last MRI 6 months ago didn't see how bad the C5-7 was with the nerves being crushed the way they were and that was extra on me, and I suspect the levels above are just the same hence why I feel like I may be having more issues. It was already noted that I had issues there to begin with, and a few other doctors suggested an ADR at C3-4 specifically and one said ACDF C3-7. So I have to find out from the surgeon now what he thinks, and I'd prefer to do it sooner rather than later. Granted I'm not even 3 weeks post op here but I assure you I'm really good where he did the surgery. My neck almost feels normal there again and now I want the rest to feel that way too!

• advertisement
  • luckyman316 - You ask a tough question.  Sandra is correct in that you need to advocate for yourself. 

From my three ADCFs surgeries , the following includes some of my experiences (every case is different).  I'm now fused from C2 down into my thoracic spine.  From my experience, six weeks post-op, almost all surgeons will likely not order an MRI until you have more post-op recovery time (unless you have a crisis/life threatening situation).  Secondly, most surgeons are very reluctant to offer a second opinion six weeks post-op.  Thirdly, in my state, any condition found by "unauthorized" diagnosis, the patient is totally for all cost of treatment for the rest of their life for issues found by the "unauthorized" diagnosis.  That's my experience.

So my thoughts (if worth anything), update your surgeon's office with your concerns.  I know the wait wears on one's emotions, but unless you have a crisis situation, there is likely little that will be done until you next post-op office visit. 

I only say the above because of my own experiences.  I wish you well and am more than willing to discuss further.

• Thanks for bringing this up to me @stiffneck7

I did call their office to discuss more, because I would not mind a MRI before the post-op visit. What I was told is that insurance will not approve a new MRI so soon after surgery and it would likely have to be after 6 week post-op. However, I'd have to present worsening of symptoms as well so I need to make sure these symptoms are presented as worse somehow. Seems like the main thing they are always concerned with is numbness, tingling and weakness. I can list at least 1 of them and the pain I've had from that upper cervical area was an 8 or 9 out of 10 after surgery anyway.

That being said, I'll wait until the 6 week mark to bring it up now and take it from there. I did ask about a second surgery and they said it could be done as soon as a month within the first surgery if needed. So the good news is, I can be in there sooner rather than later (which is what I want to aim for should I need another one here).

Waiting is tough for sure, especially when others around me are living their lives and I can't join them in this condition. But I have to keep in mind that this is only short term and the long term outcome will get me back to some form of normalcy. Was given some updated instructions though: Don't drive until 6 weeks post-op (I attempted once after 2 weeks as they suggested and felt too weak too drive and feeling just as weak as a passenger), wear the neck brace more and wash off the glue with soap and water.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your experiences!

• @luckyman316 is your recovery still going well ?!   Your initial post about your recovery sounded really great- i hope it's still the same - i'm now less than 2 weeks until my acdf - good luck with your MRI 

• advertisement
  • @dan_acdf today marks 3 weeks post op for me. The recovery is still going well. It's slow, as they say, but still good and no major issues from the surgery in itself.

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.