advertisement
advertisement
The Veritas Health Forum is moving! On September 30, 2020, this Forum will no longer be available. Please read important information about the changes here.

Lumbar fusion surgery- how did you know it’s time?

I am at my wits end with pain.  It’s been 18 months of chronic pain that’s gone from bad to utter misery.  I can’t sit for more than 15 minutes.  I’ve been to PT twice, two steroid injections and two different chiropractors.  My life is essentially on hold until I get pain relief.  I have DDD- L4 and L5 are severe and L3 moderate.  Also severe foraminal stenosis at L5.  I don’t have leg pain/weakness/numbness.  It’s all Lumbar, hip and upper buttock pain.  I feels like this new round of PT is making the pain worse.  How bad did it get for you before you decided on fusion surgery?

advertisement

Comments

• I am fused L3-L5, for me the decision came when I knew nothing else was going to work and like you, my life basically revolved around the pain and when it was time to take medication, it was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Chip

• Chip, what meds where youq taking up till surgery, and what are you taking for pain post surgery?

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,713

neaswa

I also had lumbar surgery, L1-L6 (I have an extra vertebra). I decided to have surgery when the pain got so bad my life just stopped. I could not do anything and could not even think straight because of the pain. Like you, I tried everything first and finally said enough torturing myself. It was a big decision but the risk was worth it.

Sandra

• I had tried almost everything, the strongest being oxy morphone, all the drugs were doing was trying to cover up the pain and they weren't doing a very good job of that, I was also taking muscle relaxants and Gabapentin, I decided that was no way to live and finally had the surgery.

Chip

advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.