advertisement
advertisement
The Veritas Health Forum is moving! On September 30, 2020, this Forum will no longer be available. Please read important information about the changes here.

Can't walk properly 9 months after op

Hi all,

My wife had her cervical spinal fusion on her neck 9 months ago now.

However she just can't walk at a normal speed, she is walking at 50% of her previous capacity and running or jogging is out of the question.

Is this normal?

Has anybody else experienced it?

What kind of doctor should we see regarding it?

The surgeon who operated is not interested in conversing with me, he said "I did my best" and that's it

Many thanks in advance

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,711

Skywalker

I cant believe her surgeon said that. Has she tried PT? If it were me, I would find another neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon to get another opinion. 

Keep us posted on what you find out.
    Sandra

• Thanks for the comments Sandra.

You have to bear in mind we live in a 3rd world country and nothing medical here is as good as in the west.

At the moment she has seen a neurosurgeon who organized an MRI which indicated nothing is wrong.

Have not tried proper PT yet, I am concerned that it is a mental issue now. I have read that  once depression gets a good hold it can affect your talking and motion.

She is on a load of mood altering drugs, too many I think, but the neurologist said that the physcaitrist at this hospital (it's the most expensive in this city) said that he would get her right. It's been 3 months since she started with him and there is no improvement. maybe I should reduce her meds,? But I am loathe to do that without the doctors approval, but he gave her a new pill 2 weeks ago but she won't take it!.

Currently she is having accupuncture but as you suggest PT may now be the way forward. There is nothing wrong with her legs, it's gotta be a mind issue........I don't know what to do, but after 9 months it's wearing me down, I am depressed, not as bad as her, but it's hard to keep positive when I never see any improvement in her.

Thanks for being here

• advertisement

Skywalker

Depression and chronic pain go hand in hand. I fought with anxiety and depression for a long time before I started seeing a psychologist. He taught me how to change my mindset. I don't take meds for it but everyone is different. If you think she is on too many drugs, talk to her doctor about each one and how the different meds can offset each other. Her doctor needs to know she is not taking the new meds and she is not any better.

I'm so sorry for both of you. I know what depression can do. But try to start thinking positive, try to get her meds straight, there is hope.

Take care and keep us posted.
    Sandra

• Thanks Sandra,

Your words do give me some comfort

It's so difficult to motivate her. I want to take her walking in our swimming pool as I understand that it is very good therapy but she won't come in, says it's too cold, it's not, it's just another excuse. I wanted to take her to PT instead then, nope, she won't go, it's like she is wallowing in her problems and I have to somehow get her to do what's best for her...difficult and very stressful

Skywalker

I know how stressful this is on you and it has got to be very frustrating. Swimming or just walking in a pool would be one of the best exercises she could do. The water takes the weight off of your body and provides so much relief. Somehow you have to convince her that you, and the doctors, are only trying to help. But she has got to help herself too.

Hang in there, don't give up. Where there is a will there is a way.
    Sandra 

• advertisement
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.