The Veritas Health Forum is moving! On September 30, 2020, this Forum will no longer be available. Please read important information about the changes here.

L4/L5 360° fusion , with new disc issues

So I had my l4/l5 fused January of 2016. Good until march/April of this year. Ended up getting severe back pain and knew it was my disc. Got an MRI with a bulged disc with an annular disc tearing at L5/S1. Hurts like heck. PT was finished with no help. And even flared it up a few visits. My Primary doctor pretty much said surgery will probably need to happen if Injections are not helpful. 

Now if surgery happened I have a feeling I'd rather just get it fused and done with like how mine was completed. I've heard mixed thoughts on aDiscectomy, but what do yall think/Have experienced? What is possible if my L4/L5 is fused, and my L5/S1 disc is done for?



  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,697

    Welcome jeremyvbk to the forum!

    While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

    Have you seen the Spinal Fusion Health Center on Spine-health? Spinal fusion surgery comes in many forms, and you’ll find a number of doctor-authored resources here, including Types of Spinal FusionPostoperative Care for Spinal Fusion Surgery, and tips to help Maximize the Ability to Heal After Spine Fusion Surgery. It’s a great resource for anyone considering spinal fusion. I hope you find it helpful.

    Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

  • All surgeons are different, but my surgeon will not do a discetomy on a level above or below a level that is fused.


  • advertisement
  • Thanks, I do not think a discectomy  would last long due to my fusion. I am curious if a disk replacement would be possible, or just a fusion

  • There's specific criteria that has to be met for replacement and only your doctor would be able to answer that question


Sign In or Join Us to comment.