advertisement
advertisement
The Veritas Health Forum is moving! On September 30, 2020, this Forum will no longer be available. Please read important information about the changes here.

Alternative therapies for recovery from tri-level acdf.

Greetings all,

I am about 7 weeks out from tri-level acdf surgery. The surgery was a success and apparently I am recovering well. I am still very stiff and sore overall, and am looking into alternative therapies for general relief in addition to the PT typically prescribed. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome, and am open to discussion about the procedure itself. I am currently investigating acupuncture and cbd topicals.

advertisement

Comments

• Welcome jpollack69 we’re glad you’re here!

I also have a 3 level ACDF C4-C7, I was sore and stiff also and started PT at 8 weeks, at first the PT made the soreness much worse, but after around 2 weeks I started feeling much better.

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

Have you read the article Practical Advice for Recovering from Back Surgery on Spine-health? It offers a lot of practical tips around what to expect before, during, and after surgery. You may also want to check out the video How to Prep Your Home for Spine Surgery Recovery, which also has some great tips.

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.

Chip 

Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• Hi Jpollack69. I am fused at 4 levels C2-3, C3-4, C6-7 ,C7-T1. I was stiff and sore at 7 weeks. Wore Aspen collar for 8 weeks, then started PT.  PT did dry needling which improved the stiffness i had from muscle spasm and I returned to work at 12 weeks postop. PT was a big help. Like Challenger says PT did increase the soreness for a while,, but it got better by getting the neck muscles moving. I have noticed improvement each month after. My neck rotation has improved greatly after surgery. Stiffness is gone. I'm 9 months out and feel great! Was told to give it a year to heal. Good luck with recovery and PT.

Steve

• advertisement
  • From my experience of three ACDF surgeries, I recommend you NOT use alternative therapies for three months without you surgeon's approval.  I found that my recovery time took at least six months for each surgery.  

Sign In or Join Us to comment.