advertisement
advertisement
The Veritas Health Forum is moving! On September 30, 2020, this Forum will no longer be available. Please read important information about the changes here.

Letting vertebrae naturally fuse or artificial disc replacement?

Most recent CAT scan and MRI showed L4-L5-S1 are about to fuse since the discs have been gone for so long. So do I go forward with the artificial disc replacement or just let them fuse naturally? 

Surgery can create more problems but possibly give a better outcome but is not 100%. 

No surgery would leave me with less motion and the same pain level. Just not sure if further nerve damage could result from this choice.

Thoughts from those who had the choice and why? How long before they wear out? I'm 62 so this is a concern.

Doctor's cervical choice was cadaver discs C4-C5-C6 not artificial discs. Will cover this later.

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,711

Welcome cabits to the forum.

I made the choice to have surgery, at the age of 60, because I also had arthritis and Osteo of the spine. I knew that eventually this would effect all of my disc and vertebra. And more than likely they would not fuse on their own. Surgery is a big decision at any age as there are no guarantees. Do your research, read the articles and ask your doctor a lot of questions. 

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

Have you seen the Spinal Fusion Health Center on Spine-health? Spinal fusion surgery comes in many forms, and you’ll find a number of doctor-authored resources here, including Types of Spinal FusionPostoperative Care for Spinal Fusion Surgery, and tips to help Maximize the Ability to Heal After Spine Fusion Surgery. It’s a great resource for anyone considering spinal fusion. I hope you find it helpful.

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.
    Sandra
    Veritas Health Forum Moderator

Sign In or Join Us to comment.