advertisement
advertisement
The Veritas Health Forum is moving! On September 30, 2020, this Forum will no longer be available. Please read important information about the changes here.

Has anyone had their lumbar rods and screws removed?

Hey there friends,

Can anyone share their outcome of having lumbar fusion rods and screws removed? (L5/S1)

Was it worth it?

I had my L5/S1 fusion about 7 years ago. I’m 35 years old, active and healthy. It took several years to get to my new normal and it’s pretty solid and stable. 

I’ve been having a little more discomfort around the hardware on the right-side. The right-side hardware has always been more predominant to feel under the skin and is always the spot that gets aggravated when I do flare up or tweak it.

I’m wondering if the discomfort is actually the hardware or if it’s just the nerve damage. I will consult my doctors on this. But the thought of getting cut open again for something that may not improve anything and lead to more issues is scary.

Just wondering if anyone has anything to share regarding their experience with this. 

Thanks!

advertisement

Comments

• Welcome BackAttack9 we’re glad you’re here!

We have a couple of members that have had their hardware removed, hopefully they will see this and comment. I have a 3 level lumbar fusion but have not had any issues with the hardware. Testing should be able to confirm what is causing your pain.

While you’re waiting for a reply to your first post, please take a few moments to review the Code of Conduct and FAQ section, located under Forum Tools. There you will find important information about posting in the forum and helpful tips for new members.

Here’s a great article about back pain on Spine-health that you might want to check out: Back Pain Overview: A Guide for Understanding Back Pain. The article outlines common lower back pain causessymptoms, and treatments. It’s a very comprehensive article. I hope you find this information helpful.

Again, welcome to the Veritas Health Forum.

Chip 

Veritas Health Forum Moderator

• During my second fusion surgery for L3-L4 the Dr removed rods from S1-L4 and screws from S1-L5. I'll be honest, for me I couldn't tell a difference. I'm older and far less active so the removal was more the Dr discretion. Plus he did it while already doing another surgery. It did make this one a little harder to recover from as it was more invasive an essentially a larger surgery because of the removal. The only thing I can really say is surgery is surgery. Anything can happen. Has it made a difference for me? Not that I can think of. But then the hardware wasn't bothering me in any way. 

• advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.