advertisement
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

October/November Upcoming Surgeries Post your story here!! :)

Comments

• GOOD LUCK Chellaphant -please update when you are able.

Sandra
  • injuredranger said:
    it sure is coming up quick, the closer it gets the less sleep i get..oh it better be worth it! sorry just venting..lol
    Same boat brother!
    I'm schedule fo 10/14 8:30.
    Call my PCP yesterday and told her about the tossing and turning. She gave a script for Ambien. 10MG I got some sleep last night. I)

This morning my wife says that I asked her for some chicken fingers during the night!
  • advertisement
  • DaveNH said:
    injuredranger said:
    it sure is coming up quick, the closer it gets the less sleep i get..oh it better be worth it! sorry just venting..lol
    Same boat brother!
    I'm schedule fo 10/14 8:30.
    Call my PCP yesterday and told her about the tossing and turning. She gave a script for Ambien. 10MG I got some sleep last night. I)

This morning my wife says that I asked her for some chicken fingers during the night!

i was taking temazepam for sleep but id wake up on the couch or the last time sitting at the dining table..lol so that was the last i took those.
  • Knocking on wood but I came home friday evening after my 2 level ACDF c5-6 and c6-7 with hardware and I feel like a new woman! It has only been a few days but I am feeling soo much better than I did before. For the first time in 2 years I woke up and my hands wern't numb!! I think I called everyone I know to tell them..LOL.. Don't get me wrong the first night was killer, the Dr. was actually going to keep me another night but once they changed my medication and began to give me a muscle relaxant I made a quick turnaround.

I am not hoarse anymore, my voice is back to normal. My throat is still sore but the ice cream smoothies work well at taking care of that. And of course my neck hurts but I am staying in bed and being careful about how I move etc. I only have to wear my collar in the car or out walking so I have only worn it once. (on my way home) I am wearing the bone growth stimulator 4 hours a day.

I can only speak from my experience but I am so glad I had this surgery. The Dr. said my disk was herniated worse than they thought it was at 6-7 so that only made me more sure of my decision. And I can only hope I continue going uphill. I am determined to take it easy and my family is taking such good care of me. Thank you to everyone who was thinking of me during my surgery, I really appreciate it. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone with upcoming surgeries. I hope your surgery and recovery go as well as mine is going.
  • that is so great chelle...i hope you continue to improve each day and be back to 100% soon!!
  • advertisement
  • Good morning everyone,

While mine wasn't technically in October, it's close enough lol. I had a minimally invasive microdiscectomy on 9/31 for two herniated discs at L4/L5 and L5/S1. I'm a 22 year old male, currently enrolled in college and posting this... from campus.

After being in bed from Tuesday the 31st until this morning I was ready to get going back to school. It's hard to walk around such long distances but I'm doing it slowly and carefully, and I talked with all my professors about standing up in the back of the classroom so I don't have to sit all class and they don't have a problem with it.

The surgery went very well, but slightly longer than normal. My neurosurgeon orginally planned on it being slightly over an hour long surgery but ended up being 2 and a half hours because the extruded disc material had calcified and was difficult to remove.

My original pain is gone (stabbing pain in my lower back, left buttocks and left leg) and is replaced by a soreness in my lower back. Occasionally I will have what I believe to be phantom pains in my left buttocks due to living with it for over 6 months. I'm currently on muscle relaxers, norco and anti inflammatories to keep my comfort levels bearable.

Standing up fully straight is an incredibly hard task for me and generally walk slightly hunched over which is a huge change from how I was pre-op. I had amazing posture which was slowly bent due to pain over time. I'm hoping in a few weeks I'll be up straight as an arrow again.

It was a scary procedure (my first surgery) but I had faith and got through it. Recovery is even more scary; I'm worried about doing something wrong or having an accident and hurting myself again but I need to be strong and continue to live my life.

Goodluck to all of you recent and future patients. We're all on the road to recovery and I believe relief is waiting for us all.
  • I'm having a 3 level ACDF with instrumentation on 10/15. I've had all my pre-op work done. My pain is horrific and myelopathy symptoms are progressing. I can't hold on to anything! I can't take the pain med's needed because I have no choice but to work.
    I've had 19 surgeries in 14 years, none spine related, but this one is really scary. I have a very talented surgeon.
    Plus being out with surgery and not working in this day and age with the economy scares the bejeebers out of me.
    I'm really stressed and I know I need to calm down because that is not going to help my recovery at all.
  • I'm having a 3-level lumbar fusion with the nuts and bolts on November 19th. Most info in my signature. I can really relate to kadaro's mentioning people getting to stare and laugh at him as he tries to walk with the jolts of pain sending him this way and that. I sort of look like I have an invisible person with a cattle-prod following me about. I have tried time and time again to convince myself that I do not need this surgery. I keep thinking I'll get better and I only seem to get worse. I tried leaving the fentanyl patch off for a day and just using the percocet and then thought, "WTF was I thinking??" :jawdrop: So, no, I cannot live in this sort of pain for the rest of my life, so I will go with the surgery. I've had way more than my share of orthopedic procedures in my life and this scares me way more than any of them. I just want to be able to walk comfortably. Right now I can't make it two blocks without the cattle prod slamming into the bottom of my spine and sending the bolts down either leg or just making my back totally miserable. I'll be here cheering the rest of you on till then.

Linda
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I guess I could start a December thread but I'll let someone else do it. Just scheduled my TLIF L4/L5/S1 for December 4th. It would have been earlier but my surgeon is off until November 24th for personal reasons. Would that scare anyone else if your surgeon told you that? I know everyone has problems, but over a month and a half off? He said he will check in regularly if I have any questions, so that made me feel a little bit better. Who knows, he could have a family member seriously ill.
  • Hiya >:D<
    I know how hard it is not to worry, but try not to, when it all over you will look back and say why did i worry so much #:S . Try and occupy your mind read a book :B , if you have kids try and do some activities with them <:P . Try and turn the negative into positive thoughts, you will just make yourself ill churning yourself up inside :& . Be strong, vent anytime you want to ~X( . Keep us posted about your progress :) We are all here for you >:D< .PM me anytime you want to vent. :)

Angie :H
advertisement
Sign In or Join Us to comment.