There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. On June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums moved to

Learn More

Hospital Experiences?

HaylieCatOwnerHHaylieCatOwner Posts: 117
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was wondering what people have experienced with their hosptial stays when they had surgeries? How would you rank them on a scale of one to 10? I would probably rate my experience a 6 or 7.

I have read posts here and have been extremely impressed at how courageous people have been with surgeries and MRIs. The MRI that I went through prior to surgery caused me more pain and (since it was my first) really made me nervous because of the noise and time it took. I have discovered I might be a wuss deep inside. I am a lawyer (when I'm not recovering from surgery)...and I thought I was pretty tough. I don't practice medical malpractice or health law, but I've seen the cases and I guess I was watching for "red flags" during my hospital experiences. When I went in for my pre-op testing, they had me confused and got me mixed up with another patient with the same name. I was also concerned because they didn't have a wheelchair I could use, and I ended up in intense pain after walking from department to department. The hospital is "physician-owned" and had an impressive website, but I was taken aback during the pre-op tests when the exam/testing rooms were worn out and dirty. The techs and nurses seemed to be in their own little worlds and not on top of things. Lots of documentation mistakes where they got things confused or left things off.

The actual surgery was a few days later. I like my NS, and felt confident in him. I only met the anestesiologist (spell?) for a few seconds. He told me his name and asked me if I had any major dental work, then left. The recovery room experience was scary, but I think most people have fear there. The nurses attending in recovery were not very conforting and actually argued with me when I told them I couldn't breathe and felt I was going to throw up. When I was moved to my room, it was a private room with a couch that pulled out (which was nice because my mother could stay). On my pre-op paperwork, I specifically asked for no visitors other than my parents. One of my friends came by in the afternoon, but I figured that would be it. Then at 10:30 that night, my ex-boyfriend showed up when I haven't seen him in months. I don't know how he knew I was there, much less what room I was in. The doors (except for Emergency) were supposed to be locked after 9:00 pm. It wasn't a big deal, he just came in and said "hi" and then I told him he needed to go. But security was a concern.

Most of the nurses and techs were just fine. There was one, however, who didn't seem interested in helping me use the bathroom (she left and said to buzz her when I was done. So I buzzed, but she didn't come back). Then there was a male tech with dredlocks who came in to check my vitals several times that night. He was a little too friendly, and it concerned me when he came back the second time wearing tons of cologne! I don't know what he was thinking. The biggest problem I had was the nausea from the anesthesia, which continued to the next day. Oh, and I hated the leg stockings they required I wear! Too small and my poor ankles were swolen. The nurses said there was nothing they could do. Overall, there were no major life-threatening problems, which I am thankful for.

Sorry for the long post. I am eager to hear about your hospital experiences. How would you rank them? How did you cope with it all? I may be facing another surgery, and I need to get my courage up.



  • There is no perfect hospital, anywhere.
    I f I had to use the bathroom, I would not want someone standing there, but rather do as that nurse did, hand me a callight and ring when done. True she should have came back, but Im assuming a tech or someone did?
    As far a the male tech with dreadlocks, who knows. If you felt that uncomfortable, perhaps ringing the buzzer would have relieved your fears. Most medical facilities these days require a intense background check as well as police report, and most will check there certifications/licenses for sanctions.
    The little TED hose you are required to wear are for your own good. They help prevent blood clots, that if one breaks loose can travel to your lungs and potentially be a life threatening event. They are suppose to be tight n snug, otherwise they would be of no use. I doubt the swelling was from them... alot of surgical patients have post-op swelling.
    These suggestions are for your insight. Typically hospitals will send out questionaires, I would suggest that you voice your concerns there if you havent done so already.
    Take care.

  • Hiya haylie, how are you feeling? . The Hospital where i had my surgery i would score about a 4, and i think i am being kind. The day i was admitted was the day before the operation. i was taken to my bed , there were 6 beds to this bay. The staff was not very pleasant at all , i was very nervous and no one gave reasurence. there was blood on the floor and on the wall the other end of the bay where i was. The ward i was on is an orthopedic ward, so there were open wounds. One of the women , who happened to be a retired nurse, kicked up a fuss about the blood, well cutting along story short the next thing they moved us all out to the day room. so they could clean the bay. The day of the operation i was woken at 5.30 in the morning to prepare for theatre, still no reasurence. After the surgery even though the siatic pain had gone i was in a lot of pain and upset , the nurse who came and asked what was wrong with me was very stroppy and it was about an hour before she finally gave me somthing for the pain . I was left on a bed pan for 2 hours. when i got out of bed to walk for the first time, it took me a long time to get to the toilet, when i finally got there , there was faeces on the floor and walls, the pt lady who was with me, started having a shouting match with the nurses, at this point i just wanted to sit down . I was just glad to get out of there . I can not believe there is so much filth in my local hospital, where bacteria is so high.Sorry for long post .

    Angie x
  • advertisement
  • Thanks for the good info. That's exactly what I am seeking. I want to be prepared if I have to have another surgery. I know the nylons are needed. These were too small though and were badly twisted. No one came when I buzzed after being done on the toilet; I made my way back into bed on my own. Our state doesn't follow up on background checks. IE: They randomly survey RNs about criminal convictions, usually every 3 years. I hope hospitals are more careful.

    I know I may be overly sensitve and I am trying to work on that. I hate feeling so fearful.

  • But, I did have a great one, for one reason only -- I talked to the staff before I went!

    Unheard of, I know, but at 40, I guess I am old school and like to know who has the the capability of doing me harm.
    Once I knew where I would be, I aalled to find out where I would be and then one day, just showed up and talked, like I had a relative there, and then left.

    To my surprise, everyone knew me a month later and everything I asked for happened. I had a catherter, woke up, asked for it to be removed, was told the conditions, met them and it was out 3 hours after surgery.

    I told them I would walk... period and I did and they reqraded me with the good stuff without even asking

    I walked out of the hospital 36 hours after surgery... that was terrific; my own bed and bathroom and no middle of the night interruptions.

    Anyways, just wanted to add.

    Best of Wishes,

  • Angie, I want to give you a huge virtual hug!! >:D< I hope you had someone with you during your hospital stay, at least part of it? I would have screamed if left on the bedpan 2 hours--talk about pain! And blood and feces! That hospital needs to be reported to the government! I am so sorry you didn't get comfort from the nurses. You must be a really strong person and I admire you for getting through all that.

    Take care,

  • advertisement
  • Hi Haylie, I find this topic interesting as I am a nurse so I now have been on both side of the hospital setting. I would rate my experience and 8 out of 10. Granted I have an advantage because the staff there probably all knew ahead of time that I was an RN in the same facility. I had a pre-op appt a week ahead that took about an hour, they took my history, v/s, labs, ekg, and cxr. I did not know the nurse, but she was pleasant.
    I was admitted the day of surgery at 7:30 AM, my sis is a manager and got me pronto check in by going in the back door to admitting, yeah I am lucky! I then went to the immediated pre-op care unit and guess what, I knew my nurse, we used to work together on Pediatrics, so that was terrific and helped me relax a little. She started my IV and got me ready for surgery. I asked if I could have some Ativan or something for nerves and was told not until I speak to anesthesia in the OR area.
    At 1045 I was taken to surgery and met the anesthesiologist in the holding area. He asked about allergies, and surgeries, and said he would give me something later in OR #o . After a few minutes they pushed my gurney into the OR where that contraption called a Jackson table was. Still can't imagine how they got me onto that thing as it is the old style without any special flip the patient over feature. There was a nurse running aroung busy and then the anesthesiologist came in and I felt my IV burn. I asked him if he put something in it and he said yes. A few minutes later it burned again, and that is the last thing I remember.
    I woke up in the recovery room to another familiar face, a nurse I have known since I was 7 years old. It was such a treat to get her and I am sure it helped with my response to waking up from anesthesia. She promptly started my PCA (pain button), and then gave me 2 meds for nausea when I became nauseas. It seemed only a few minutes and I was on my way to my private room on the Neuro step-down unit.
    I was on this unit for 5 nights and I would say my care was excellent most of the time. I had to walk the evening of surgery with my brace on just down the hall and I was soooo dizzy. The nurse who was getting me up got an admission and left me sitting on the side of the bed for 30 minutes, ouch :''( . They stole my catheter at less than 24 hours after surgery and made me get up to go to the bathroom. They would help me get out of bed to the bathroom, then leave me there. I would call when I was ready to get to bed.
    There was also a crazy guy 2 doors down that would yell and bang on things. He has security with him at all times, cause I guess too many nurses got hurt trying to take care of him. I had a bad experience on day 2 when the PA said they would start me on oral meds, but not to worry that I would still have the PCA if I need it. Then the nurse came in with Tylenol #3 and said the PCA would be removed in one hour. I said I am not taking it, it is way too weak, I was on that before surgery already. I was in tears. She called the PA and got it switched to Norco 10, 2 tabs every 3 hours(what the surgeon had said would be ordered) and I got to keep my pain button for 24 more hours. I did have one nurse that seemed way too rushed, and took a few hours to get my new muscle relaxer to me. I almost called the pharmacy myself :)
    My hospital is a private hospital that services the county contract, and it has gone down hill in recent years, I think. I work in postpartum and our housekeeping service is lousy.(It is contracted out to a private agency who do a bad job). I took a can of Lysol in my suitcase and my sister sprayed down my bathroom and tables. Surprisingly this unit was much cleaner than where I work. I think they have less turnover, so less abuse has been done. There was something on the wall and the nurse called housekeeping who came right away and cleaned it. I hadn't even noticed it myself.
    The day after surgery PT came and helped me get up to walk, then OT came and showed my how to use the reacher, etc. The discharge planner ordered my walker and commode chair. After about the third day I pretty much got myself up and down, but had to call for help to disconnect the leg squeezers and to tuck my pillows. All my nurses were very nice and accomadating except for the rushed one. I asked and was told they each have 3 patients on this unit. Seems like they are well staffed as on Post-partum we have 4 mother baby couplets = 8 patients per RN. They also had two CNA's for the floor of 17 max patients. I think they are lucky, as are their patients.
    So anyway, I think I had great care in general. I feel sorry for those folks in England in the public health system, I haven't heard anything good about it yet :( .
    I am sorry I have turned this into my personal diary entry of my hospital experience (if anyone is still reading). :$ Sue

    P.S. Haylie, MRI's are scarey as are cologne reeking techs ;)
  • u can read my comment under home after plif revision.
    im still very out of it.
    to rate my hospy i would give it a 9 everyone was awesome no matter what they wore, smelled like whatever.
    all that counted is i got the best of care.
    my concern is im in more pain then the first surgery and still tonight do not know whats going on.
    i never needed the commode the first time last year. glad i ghave it now. its TUFF.
    bigger incision different rules.

    so hang in there each day will get better.
    and of course as u know common sense they can only keep u so long and on a pcp pain paup.

    the percss r doing me in as i was on lortabs and i had no sleep since tues night.

    well i will write more later i cannot focous right now.


    lots of hugs
  • Hiya,
    My ex boyfriend was with me on some visits, and my daughter which i did not really want her to see me like that.I was home 3 days after surgery. I got in my house and i just sobbed . Its bad enough having that kind of surgery because your body is in trauma, and with all the medication as well, i was so emotional anyway. I just wanted someone to understand what i was going through , and understand the pain i was in . One nurse said to me i should not have any pain as they removed the disc that was touching the nerve, they took the next one to it because it had worn away, and they shaved one. She was right the pain down my leg had gone, but every where else i was in so much pain. They just carried on with the morphine (which i had to with draw from). >:D<

    Angie x
  • I am shocked by what some of you experienced in the hospital. Mine couldn't have been better...wonderful staff of nurses and it was spotless. Never had to ask anyone twice for anything. My only complaint was that when the meals were brought to me, they put it on the table across the room and didn't offer to bring the table to me. The hospital was quiet, no staff or visitors talking loudly in the halls. I can't believe the conditions some of you wonder staff infections are so rampant!
  • Joy, that is so good to hear. Can I ask what state/country you live in??


Sign In or Join Us to comment.